More help with .45 Long Colt Load

a1parrothead

I am loading some 250 gr. LRN with gas checks.

I am loading these and I am seating them and I am ending up with an O.A.L. length of 1.65" which is where the groove is.

At that depth, I have about run out of bullet shoulder and will now hit the taper if I go much further, but they are seated to groove as the bullet was cast.

My Lyman Cast Bullet manual shows 1.65 as OAL for a 270gr. Bullet, but the 250grs. Show an average of 1.59" or so. My Lyman 47th edition does shows a 250gr at 1.60"

Any thoughts? They work well in the cylinders at the 1.65" but THEY ARE SLIGHTLY LONGER THEN MY DILLON CASE CHECK GAUGE FOR .45 COLT.

I am using the 250gr. gas checked LRN bullets over 8.0 grs.

Any problems at this length with this load? Shooting in BOTH Ruger Vaquero and Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter.

BTW, what is your max OAL for the .45 long colt? SAAMI shows 1.60, but I have read people going longer. ?

I load as long as 1.68 for some heavies. Standard Blackhawk. No problem. If yours fit and don't interfere with rotation, you are good to go.

Glad to hear it. I don't bother to measure rimmed handgun cartridges I make sure my cases are lot too long, and crimp in the groove.

As above, crimp in the crimp groove and your golden. I don't bother to measure AOL either for revolver cartridges that I've loaded.

The issue is with cylinders. They are longer on some guns than on others, though I think most have enough extra length that your rounds will fit. SAAMI doesn't specify cylinder length in the cartridge and chamber drawings, but their pressure test barrel specification does specify a chamber length to the vent used to simulate a barrel/cylinder gap, and that length is 1.665", so I expect most cylinders will normally be at least that long. It doesn't leave you with a lot of extra room for bullets pulling under recoil, though, so crimp well.

Odd that the mold maker put that extra 0.050" on it. I am wondering if the bullet was intended for 454 Casull, rather than 45 Colt. The Casull design allows an additional 0.067" of bullet protrusion from the case mouth.

Please note that SAAMI drawings are copyrighted, so you can't post them directly on the board without permission from SAAMI. You can post links to the relevant SAAMI standard, though. The whole board policy on posting copyrighted material is here. Please read. Thank you.

Back