More common 44 specials?

Chainsaw.

The recent 44 special threads have brought up something thats been stirring in my head for a while now. I love 44 special and would like a small-ish 44 special revolver for woods carry at my place up in the north cascades. Been slowly looking around, I've considered a bulldog but I'm not in love with them and just want to make sure I consider all options as I certainly dont know all the firearms out there. So, if you have any suggestions on a side arm that isnt python expensive let me know!

I agree with Bob Wright I have two like his a blue and a stainless . I do not shoot them much as I shoot the 44 Mag most of the time . You will not find much that carries as easy .

I handled a GP100 in 44spl at a gunshow this past weekend. Looked like a winner to me.

Of course any of the 44mag guns can shoot the spl as well, so maybe a Smith mountain gun stoked however you like it makes more sense

My "always" woods gun is a Bulldog. However, that medium frame Blackhawk is a winner. Picked one up on a whim. It's a keeper. Light, powerful, accurate. I have a GP-100 also, in .357 Mag. Nice gun. Your preference.

My opinion of the Bulldog is it is fine for walking around town. Light, easily concealed... I like mine for that. But not for the woods and animals that inhabit it around here. I want something that can use a slightly warmer load than I would feel comfortable with in the Bulldog. That means the GP-100 for you DA guys, or a SA Ruger Flattop for the rest of us :) -- that is if you are a Ruger fan. From the posts in the other thread, there are a 'few' people out there that, for some reason, like S&W .44 Specials too... BTW, I have both, but I 'prefer' the flattop. No other reason than I like SAs.

Bob, is that fine little beauty is special? Im certainly not opposed to single actions but might be leaning towards a double action. My property is in wolf and cat country so, in my head I think a double may serve better, even if just as a mental security blanket.

Yes they will, but you are still lugging around a big ol' horse-pistol.

Not if you pick a Smith & Wesson Model 69. L-frame, five shot, 44 Magnum.

I don't get out in the woods much anymore, but if I did, this is what I'd carry. I'd load it with 44 Special loads, and maybe toss a speed strip of Magnums "just in case," and I'd be set.

Last edited:
Chainsaw said:
Bob, is that fine little beauty is special? Im certainly not opposed to single actions but might be leaning towards a double action. My property is in wolf and cat country so, in my head I think a double may serve better, even if just as a mental security blanket.

As you prefer. But I carry my Single Actions in a far more fearsome arena that wolves. And in my hands, a good Single Action works far better than a double action revolver.

Bob Wright

Chainsaw, the CA Boomer is definitely not python expensive, small, light and packs the 44spl wallop . It also, however, has a ported AND tapered 2 inch barrel, no front sight and a wicked trigger that will chew up your finger at least as bad as an ill tempered Chihuahua. When they say it's a get the f*** off me gun, they ain't kidding. Had it out for the first time yesterday and was literally practicing shots at 3yards. Beyond that, it's not easy finding the best where to hold spot. But, if the added noise from the ports and the spectacular muzzle flash isn't enough to scare whatever/whoever away, then that 190 grain, semi wadcutter lumbering along at 1000 fps aught to do the trick. Paid $372 for it from Buds. Thinking now I should have waited and got a Ruger GP100.

For woods carry and I carry in the woods a lot, I either take a 624 or a 29-8 MG loaded with 250 gr LSWCs at about 950 fps. There are some pretty mean 4 legged creatures in the woods and I'd want more then a small frame .44 SPL.

Where I travel here there are coyotes and they are not afraid of humans. We also have Black Bear though I have never seen one.

UKdQAeFh.png

dYfgyUkh.jpg

I carry a Bulldog sometimes. I don't practice with it too often and use light loads when I do. At that rate I figure it will last about as long as I do.

I have read posts about the Taurus Model 431 and 441 revolvers. My understanding is that they weren't made for very long and aren't that common, but lots of owners seem to like them.

I really like Bob Wright's carry piece! I grew up with SA revolvers and prefer shooting them to any other type of handgun.

I love 44 special and would like a small-ish 44 special revolver for woods carry at my place up in the north cascades.

You guys showing him your N-frames didn't read the OP very well. And as nice as the Ruger is (if you can stand the new model crap) that hardly qualifies as a "smallish" 44 either. (smile)

I don't have a recommendation because the three Charter Arms I've owned all shot themselves apart after a while and the 696 I tried had such a thin forcing cone it wouldn't shoot the loads I was interested in.

To the OP, good luck but unless you're willing to go up a bit from "smallish" I don't think you are going to find anything very useful.

YMMV,
Dave

You guys showing him your N-frames didn't read the OP very well. And as nice as the Ruger is (if you can stand the new model crap) that hardly qualifies as a "smallish" 44 either. (smile)

I don't have a recommendation because the three Charter Arms I've owned all shot themselves apart after a while and the 696 I tried had such a thin forcing cone it wouldn't shoot the loads I was interested in.

To the OP, good luck but unless you're willing to go up a bit from "smallish" I don't think you are going to find anything very useful.

YMMV,
Dave
This shoots 44 specials nicely. Its smaller than my rifles. Cowboy loads are a little weak and smokey so I dont recommend those. Yes, I'm joking.
88dc08340e170c6248525ee9303b847b.jpg

I just thought of another one, I used to have. It's not in the Bulldog class, but it's about the size of a K, maybe an L frame Smith & Wesson.

A Taurus 431. I know, Taurus gets cussed a lot but that 431 I had was a gem. I don't have a picture, but it's a five shot 44 Special. Looked great, shot great. It was from the era when Taurus used wood grips and the grips are some of the nicest I've ever used. I don't know why I sold that gun. Well, yes I do, I got a Model 69, 44 Magnun, but I wish I'd held onto that Taurus.

Rossi has a Model 720? that in the same class, and I see a lot of praise for that gun.

YMMV,
Dave
I was trying to point out that a small .44 for woods carry is impractical. I also owned a Bulldog and would not recommend it to anyone, it's junk in my opinion. Only small .44 that worked was a Taurus 445 which isn't made anymore.

I have two of these (2 3/4" version -- also avail in 4 1/4" bbl). One with modified X Frame grips and one with factory grips. They are a bit heavy (35 oz) for your stated requirements, but they are smallish five shot L Frames. I've found them easy to carry and easy to shoot. You can load them with 44 specials or 44 mags if needed.

1%20a%20SW%20M69%20pic%2010064_01_lg_1.jpg

FWIW,

Paul

Back