More accurate: 38spl or 357 mag in same gun?

John T

Inactive
I shoot both 38 spl and 357 mag in a Ruger GP101 and a S&W 66. It seems that my groups are smaller than with 357 rounds than with 38 spl rounds in the same gun. Slow fire, 20 yds, and two hands. Is there any reason to believe that a 357 round is more accurate than a 38 spl? To date, I have just figured that I am a little more patience (=respectful) when aiming with 357s than with 38s, which seem like 22 rounds after shooting the magnums!

John T,

There is no hard and fast rule. Every gun is a law unto itself, as the saying goes. Some .357 Magnum service revolvers turn into target guns when you feed 'em mid-range .38 SPL's. Others couldn't put five on a paper plate if you gave the plate powderburns.

In some guns, the extra tenth of an inch the .38 SPL bullet has to jump before entering the forcing cone ruins accuracy, in some it doesn't.

I had a Model 19 once that would group great with either magnums or specials, but my M-686 won't shoot .38's worth a hoot.

Doc Hudson

Actually if you look in the charge holes you will see a shoulder on the business end. I would imagine that with the longer .357 magnum cases the brass snugs up close enough that the bullet could rest in that necked area and be held in alingment. On the other hand it appears that the shorter .38 spl brass allows the bullet to hang less supported or maybe even completely unsupported.

A quick visual seems to confirm this, but the light here is not sufficient to be sure.

What Doc Hudson is usually the case. It would seem that the longer .357 case would be more accurate but each gun is different.

When I first got my 627PC I installed in in my Ransom Rest and shot a bunch of ammo I had on hand for it. The best groups I shot were with some handloaded HBWC's in .38 cases. Second best was some Federal 125 +P 38's. The .357's I shot that day shot well but the 38's still beat them by a wide margin.

Does this mean that if I think I will mostly shoot .38's then I should buy a .38 and not a .357?

How much difference in accuracy are we talking about?

And if you tried many different make/types of .38 special would you find one that shot tighter groups?

I don't notice any difference in accuracy between my best .44 mag rounds and my best .44 special rounds.

I generally would think the advantage of being able to shoot .357 mag if you want would outweigh the possible slight accuracy loss (that you might not even notice) of shooting the .38's throught the .357 gun.

The main reason to get a .38 special gun is when you want one smaller or lighter than is possible in .357.

Be interested to see if other people have also noticed big differences in accuracy between the special and the magnums.

ithaca_deerslayer Wrote:

"the advantage of being able to shoot .357 mag if you want would outweigh the possible slight accuracy loss (that you might not even notice) of shooting the .38's throught the .357 gun."

I agree with him 100%!! Get a .357, and if accuracy is bad with .38's, load .38 loads in .357 brass.

Doc Hudson

I don't have the numbers now, but I used to handload a .38 Spl+P+ with a 158 Gr SWC (very hard cast lead). It ended up being the most accurate load I ever fired in my S&W 66.

The biggest key here is the gun itself. I have 4 model 28 Smith and Wessons. Not one of them shoots and groups the same with the same ammo. The 357 will tend to group a little better and part of that is the difference in velocity. I handload a LOT. I have found that the load makes a difference as well. also the bullet type will. The best way to go, IMHO, is a 357 and use heavy 357 loads for hunting or personal protection and use 38spl in it to get proficent. That is the less expensive way to go. If you feel you just want to shoot a lot of 38 spl, get a 38 spl. The difference in the case legenth seems to make little difference in the results I see. I can load 38+p+ loads and getalmost as good a results as the 357 loads in a JHP or a JSP, but in a wadcutter, the accuracy goes down the tubes in the 357, as wellas a little in a 38spl, almost as if the travel from the case to the forcing come effects it. One of my 357's was not timed quite right when I got it. It shaved lead and was less accurate than my trowing the gun at the target. When I fixed that It was pretty darn good.

If I'm going to run 38 ammo through a 357 revolver, I load it in 357 brass. My overall accuracy seems to be a little better, plus I don't get the build up of crud in the chambers as I would with 38 brass.

You load the same bullets in BOTH the 38 spl and the 357 magnum. The only difference is legnth of case and more powder behind the 357. 38 ammo is in 38 brass 357 ammo is in 357 brass. and it definately reduces your cost if you use 38's for pratice with the 357.

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!

As a number of folks have remarked it depends a lot on the gun. In two of my .357 guns (and one .44 Mag) I find that subsonic loads in magnum brass give the best results. In a different .357 gun the best results seem to be from .357 Mag loads that are just short of being too hot for safety (and that's in a M27!) Needless to say that gun doesn't get shot that much with the "most accurate" load - too hard on the gun, and on MY hand!

Back