More about Scopes

GmbH

Inactive
I am considering to put a scope on my rifle, most likely Tasco 30/30. I've been looking at some specs.
My question is when you turn the scope from say 2X to 8X, does it compensate the elevation for you? In other words, does it lower the scope or the Cross (so that you will raise your gun) as you aim further? Or it just assumes that bullet does not lose altitude as it travels under 1-mile?
I am pretty good with M-16. So I know, as you aim further, you have to raise your gun. I've just never had any experience with scope.

GmbH,

I'm no scope expert but will share my limited experience. Unless the Tasco 30/30 has a bullet drop compensator (BDC) for the caliber and weight of bullet you're shooting, adjusting the power should not affect the point of impact (POI).

The only thing which should change when you adjust the power is the magnification and non-BDC scopes which change POI reflect poor workmanship, design, or quality.

If the Tasco 30/30 has duplex reticles (see Leupold's website for an example), then you can learn to use it for range estimation and for Kentucky windage. This was developed by a FBI Special Agent on the Leupold 3.5x10 Vari III scope. The USMC and Army uses a mil-dot reticle, but that's a different story.

I'm sure there are many others out there who are more knowledgeable than myself and will share their insights with us.

Changing the power from 2 to 8 only enlarges the apparent size ofthe target and narrows the field of view. It should not change the point of impact, but you get what you pay for.

On low-recoil rifles, cheaper scopes are okay. I have a Burris on my '06 which hasn't "boogered" in some 200 rounds, but I've only had it a year. It replaced a 25-year+ Leupold only due to a loss of sharpness in the old Leupold--which I'll send back to the factory one of these procrastinating days. I have a Tasco on a .220 Swift which seems happy enough, but I'm just old-fashioned enough not to forget the early reputation.

The only scope I know of that compensates at the power ring is the Leatherwood Art 2 . This was used by the military for a short time but was found to be to fragile and hard to zero . A cheap scope will " walk " the zero around as you twist the power ring . Sand bag your rifle tight, gently twist the power ring and watch you target. You can quickly tell if its a bummer .

A cheap scope will also not come back to zero as you click up&down for distance or side to side for wind.

Back