More .303 P14 questions

cornered rat

THis is the first rifle I have that uses rimmed ammo. That means, apparently, that I cannot place five rounds into the magazine and close the bolt on an empty chamber...when the bolt is moved back, it moves the top round far enough back for the rims to overlap incorrectly. Any ideas on keeping it loaded but w/o a chambered round?

Also, how can I tell, by looking, if barrel is floated or not?

CR,
If the mag is not removeable and it isn't then there is nothing you can do about the round being moved back.

As to telling if the barrel is "Floated" take a dollor bill and fold it double lenth wise, If you can slide this between the Barrel and the stock to the front of the reciever the barrel is free floated. Hope this helps.

Guessed wrong! The barrel is free-floated :)
Also, I read up on the P14 and it looks like a great design. Easily the best choice of the WW1 designs (I am sure owners of every other model would disagree). For $90 with $15 of ammo...not bad at all. The shop where I bought it will add slink and tripod swivels.

<h3>I am one smiley rat today</h3>

------------------
Cornered "but cheery" Rat
http://ddb.com/RKBA

Rat,

For any serious info on Enfields check out www.gunandknife.com and go into the Enfield discussion forums. I've never owned a P14 but they have a great reputation! Have fun and let us know how it shoots.

Back