Moonclips vs. No Moonclips

ReserveCop

I understand that I can use my S&W 627 PC revolver with either moonclips or no moonclips...it will work as well either way.

Therefore my question is what are the pros and cons of using, or not using, moonclips with the 627 PC?

What would you do, and why?

Thanks for your opinions.

I only use the moon clips on my carry firearm ( 2, one to load the gun with and a spare) or for a hunting load that I may carry all season long. Can also see a use for competitive purposes, it's the fastest way to load a wheel. When I took a defensive class, loaded up 240 rounds with moon clips. That was 40 moon clips. Very fun!

Robert

picking up emptys on moon clips after your string is SWEEEETT!!!!

autos spray brass all over the north 40

revolvers put little piles of 6 (or 5, or 7, or 8) right next to each other

but moon clip revo's (my 625) keep all your brass clipped together.

additional plus - the moon clips should empty out of the gun faster with less chance of a single round hanging up (since they are all attached together)

there's no chance you are going to miss any brass (well, ok - i guess you could loose the brass in multiples of six - especially if another 625 shooter is helping to "police the brass")

downsides are:

you have to de-moon it before you can reload it,

627 moon clips are much more expensive than 625,

627 moon clips are a lot thinner (fragile) than 625

For "fun" shooting at the range I don't use them (saves a few minutes). When I was plate shooting I ALWAYS used them, for obvious reasons. I also use them for my carry loads. Much faster than single rounds or even speedloaders. As an example, when I was plate shooting I could normally fire eight rounds, reload and fire my first round from the second string in about the time the guy with the six shooter and speedloader fired his eighth round (six, reload, one round and I caught up with him again). This of course put me well ahead of him (especially since our course of 21 plates required that he reload four times to my three - assuming no misses on both parts).

I'm in love with the moon clips on my .45ACP revos but unsure of them on my M627 P.C. They look very 'flakey' and
bend much easier than the .45s. THEY ARE ALSO $3 A PIECE, but the Dillion brass popper works on them so that's a relief ! ...dewey

RE; 627 Moonclip durability?

I keep hearing about how fragile the 627 moonclips are. Yes they may be thinner and flex more but they are better than the 625/610 clips if bent. The 627 moonclips are made from thin spring steel while the 625/610 clips are made of regular sheet steel. Take a 625 clip and bend one fo the projecting pieces to a 45 degree angle from the rest of the clip. Does it stay there? What happens when you bend it back? Now do that with a 627 clip and you will see the difference.

I am not saying the 627 clips are indestructable. Just because they seem more "flimsey" doesn't make them worse than the others.

Moonclips are for moving quickly. Individual rounds are for range shooting without the hassle of mooning/demooning (imagine loading up an auto without using a magazine).

The 627 moonclips are quite durable. I've used my 11 clips to shoot well over 8000 rounds. I retrieved one that had been stepped on but not bent to crease, bent it back and now cannot tell which one it is.

One way to damage a moonclip without realizing it is to use a demooning tool that rests inside the adjacent round position rather on the end of the arm that goes between rounds. Causes the arm to bend and resizes both positons so that one carries loosely and the other too tight. I did this with a home made demooning tool.

TK Custom does offer a moonclip repair tool if needed.

Back