moon clips and .45 ACP rim/model 25

johnblackstone

Anyone shoot with a SW model 25 or similar using moon clips? How would you compare using moon clips to finding .45 rim ammo?

Does anyone make .45 auto rim ammo, or do you reload only?

Comments on the model 25-2 revolver would be appreciated, including what a vg speciman in original wood box should fetch.

The gentleman showed me some very impressive 25 yard targets with his revolver.

The gun actually shoots better with the moon clips. The bullets are easier to handle and carry. The standard acp cases also handles more pressure than the autorim ( about 5000 psi ). It is a very accurate gun and a pleasure to shoot. Everyone should have one in their collection.

http://www.moonclips.com/

sw625-1.jpg

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited December 19, 1999).]

Stick with the clips. You can find either half moon or full moon clips without any trouble at any gun show or decent gun store. If you have an opportunity to get one of the tools to help remove empty casings from the clips, get it. The hardest thing about using the clips is removing the empty brass from the clips since the brass tends to spin in your hand as you are trying to pry it out. The unloading tool is well worth the few dollars it costs and it speeds up reloading the clips.

The maib advantage of the fullmoon clios is rapid reloading. It is fsdter than any speed ioader. A useful trick is to get a .44 Magnum speedloader carrying poch. Most of them will accept four .45ACP fullmoon clips giving you 24 rounds in reserve, The only advantage I can seeto usinf .45 Autorim cartridges is that they are easier to reload than regular .45 ACP cases. They will require a special shell holder in most reloading presses. Anyway a S&W .45 ACP Model 35 or 625 is an excellent revolver.

The main advantage of the fullmoon cips is rapid reloading. It is faster than any speed ioader. A useful trick is to get a .44 Magnum speedloader carrying poch. Most of them will accept four .45ACP fullmoon clips giving you 24 rounds in reserve, The only advantage I can see to using .45 Autorim cartridges is that they are easier to reload than regular .45 ACP cases. They will require a special shell holder in most reloading presses. Anyway a S&W .45 ACP Model 35 or 625 is an excellent revolver.

SORRY ABOUT THE TYPOS IN THE FIRST REPLY> I SEEM TO BE HAVING A BAD TYPING DAY.

The 25-2 will handle ACP cases fine for practice and plinking without the moon clips. Later 25-dash versions, I have heard, need the clips to headspace properly. A neat tool to unload empties from moon clips may be made easily from a short length of 1/2" PVC pipe, sawed so that there is a protruding lip on part of one end sort of resembling the barrel hood of a 1911. Insert case, lip on edge of moon clip, and twist.
AR cases are not necessary...I bought 50 a very long time ago, and haven't loaded them all yet. The 25-2, pinned 6-1/2" would be worth about $350 in very good, as much as $550 in excellent, with the box. Try a load with the 200gr H&G bullet in ACP cases: my gun shoots it into ragged one-hole groups at 50 yds! slabsides

The smith 25 in 45 acp is a good gun. I used a large allen wrench enserted in each case to easily pry them out of the full moon clips. When I originally purchased the gun it shot ok with jacketed ammo but shot large groups (3 times the size of jacketed rounds)with any lead bullets. The cylinder throats were about .457. I sent it back to Smith explaining the problem and it came back with a good cylinder.

Well, the ammo makers solved part of the problem by discontinuing the .45 auto-rim several years ago. As far as needing moon clips, AFAIK all the S&W 25s have chamber shoulders and can be used with .45ACP without the clips. You just have to pull or punch the cases out of the chambers. Whether using clips or not, reloaders should taper crimp just as if loading for the auto pistol. If the crimp is deep and doesn't allow the chamber shoulder to support the case mouth, ignition will be erratic.

Jim

I really like my 3" 625. There is a de-mooning tool sold by Dillon and by Brownell's (same price, about $17), if you don't want to make one; it works great. I also used a Dremel to slightly widen the openings in my moon clips, which makes them easier to load. If you have any doubts about how fast reloads can be with these things, I hope you can get a look at the American Shooter footage of Miculek doing a reload into his 625 when he was setting that shoot-reload-shoot revolver speed record. (The narrator said he's practiced those reloads daily for 20 years.)

Back