Moon clip holder

KyJim

With cool weather coming, I plan on carrying my revolvers more. One is a Ruger LCR in 9mm. I would like to carry an extra moon clip, but not in a pocket since the factory moon clips are rather fragile. Anybody have a suggestion for a moon clip pouch or holder for concealed carry? At this point, I'm looking at pouches from either Simply Rugged or Del Fatti. Thanks!

A post is better. The moon-clip is primarily damaged by crushing the cartridges in rather than pulling the tips apart. So while a speedloader pouch does offer some protection, what you really want is a post that fills the center gap. Also, with a moon clip in the pouch, you have to stick your finger in the clip's hole and pull it out with one finger and then readjust your grip. Speedloaders should not be gripped by the release, but the outside diameter of the speedloader body sticks up high enough out of the pouch to get your fingers around it. The moon clip package is shorter and sits too low in the pouch.

So my suggestion is a post or two posts that the clip(s) can slide onto with the post sticking through the hole in the clip. It should have a step in the diameter so the clip rests on the step. Having two joined together at the bottom helps keep them from tumbling sideways in a wide pocket. You can also sew the pocket narrow enough that one won't tumble, but wide enough you can still get your fingers around it in there. Having two joined also helps prevent the post coming out of the pocket with the clip.

I have the same LCR, what I use is a 35mm plastic film canister. I did add a layer of foam to the bottom so the moon clip is flush with the top. Just pop off the lid and it slides rite out. So easy and cheap.

Prescription bottles work too

I have used some of the shorter and fatter prescription bottles to carry the 9mm moon clip. pop the cap (no kids or grandkids at home so I don't get the child resistant caps that you need a child to open for you) and slide it out.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I've actually got a couple of moon clips in an old pill bottle, but it's a slow reload.

Back