Moneyclip Knives?

HKguy9

Other than having a new toy, what purpose does a money clip serve? I'm assuming you would still carry your wallet for your ID and credit cards so why have something else in your pocket for your money if you already have a wallet?

I don't know anyone who carries both. A clip is used to hold a few things only. Money, 1 ID, 1 CC. If you carry more then you need a wallet. I have a lot of cards that I carry so a clip is out of the question.

I've used a money clip for a little over 20 years now. Got in the habit back in the military when all I took off base was my ID card and money. I just like that method of carry for myself. Keep my cash in front pocket.

YOU can't figure out it's TACTICAL??

This way you don't have all your eggs in one basket, so to speak! You can learn the art of tai-dough, throwing the cash at your attacker while you go for one of your many handguns, knives or grenades with your other hand.:D I think money clips have been around since before wallets were popular, and never died out. Seems like around here it's mostly older guys with a rural background who favor them. Also, I've seen some that were very ornate-probably a bit of a status symbol at one time, sort of like some watch fobs in their day. I'm sure you liked the first part of my answer better, so get yourself one that opens into a knife-flat black of course. Heck, it'll help you get closer to filling those 42 pockets of yours, get one for each denomination of currency you carry!:D

Not that I use a money clip - I have a range bag, er... purse.

One thing that slightly bugs me about people who pocket carry, like Oleg: he's got his wallet in his back pocket (obvious wallet imprint), and a pocket holster for his P32 in the front pocket (also makes a wallet imprint). It looks like he's got two wallets. Not that alot people these days are that observant, but it does look strange.

Tactically thinking, I figure a money clip eliminates the extra bulk of a wallet and breaks up the squarish outline? The more low-profile nature may prevent pickpockets from getting tempted. It also seems some wallets are big enough to prevent buttoning the dress pants pocket it's in, but a money clip may not, allowing "proper retention".

I also figure a money clip helps persuade the owner to carry less "stuff" in it, since a clip is limited to the amount it can sufficiently hold. That's why I try not carry a huge purse, I just get lazy and stuff more useless gunk in it and not clean it out.

Occasionally I will carry my Spyderco Native as a money clip. It looks really unobtrusive. The knife is handy, able to be made ridiculously sharp and will do a lot of damage for its size. I moneyclip it when I carrying in places where knives are a no-no, people getting Swiss Army's taken away and such. I just wrap the money all the way around it, tuck it in my wallet as I come to the old metal detector and toss the wallet in the tray with other pocket trash. Nobody yet has wondered why the wallet in the tray, they just hand it back to me after I am through. :D Steel-toed boots are a free pass to carry a weapon, I try to be pleasant to the screener and when the detector goes off I tell them it's the boots. Every time they just wand the boots. Never carried a weapon like this before, just wear steel toes every time I get near a courthouse just to test the waters.

Money clip

I use both a wallet and a money clip. My wallet holds ID, credit cards, ATM cards, and large bills. My money clip( LH Kershaw mini-task) keeps small bills, tens, fives, and singles nice and orderly as well as giving me an extra off side blade. Not to mention the fact that most secur check points miss the fact that it is a knife.

Brian D. and runt have the right idea. I carry a money clip with "emergency" small bills, and I also carry the smallest wallet that I could find for normal spending cash & credit cards. However, I don't use a money clip knife, because I wouldn't want to hand another weapon to a mugger.

Back