Monahans Dove Hunt '04

Cowdogpete

Well, the traditional trek to Monahans for Labor Day dove hunting did not live up to my expectations......it was better.

Birds were thick as flies in a feedyard. Weather was ideal.

If you have read the antics of the brothers that own the place, Jay did not show up this year....seems he's had a falling out with the family (that means it's his turn this year)....one of the brothers is always out of sorts. I think they rotate turns.

SO there were fewer people, all were good friends. A wonderful trip.

I drove from Bosque County to Graham to pick up a friend. Then we headed on in to Monahans with a short stop in Midland to see my sister and eat supper at one of the local Mexican food joints.

We arrived at the ranch right at dark.
Big%20House.jpg

This is the main house where we stayed. Very comfortable.

Tom (the host) is quite the gun collector...always has something new. He is a World War II reinactor among other hobbies.
Table.jpg

We spent the afternoons playing with Tom's toys, and the numerous guns brought by other people. Did I mention Tom is also a class III license holder with several specimens?
Tailgate%201.jpg

Each evening we hunted.
Dove%20Pair.jpg

Dove%20Flying.jpg

Limits did not take long to fill. I shot above my usual average. Sometimes you get in the groove. Even succeded in getting my first two for one. With birds this thinck it was bound to happen.

This is the windmill where we hunted Saturday.
Tacky%20Windmill.jpg

Sunday was a duplicate of the first. Stayed up to late both nights. Steaks grilled over mesquite were outstanding. Drove out Monday morning. Got stopped just east of Midland for speeding. Handed my DL and CHL to the officer. When he asked "Where is your weapon sir?" I thought my passenger was going to fall out of the truck laughing. I asked the officer "Which one?" and he just looked in the back and said "Never mind". We had three double long gun cases in the bed. More were piled up on the back seat. And he couldn't even see the dozen or so in the toolbox.

The Highway Patrolman said he was going to issue me a citation, but when he returned, he was laughing and said I was getting a warning....seems he had tried to do the ticket twice, messed up both times and gave up.

Sometimes you get lucky.

Cowdogpete

Cowdogpete

Hey ,
I was wondering how the trip went...
Great Pics and I'm glad you had a great time. Did we ever find out the limit on them windmills? LOL ...I gotta head back to TX and bust some birds.

...."Where is your weapon sir?"
"Which one?"
ROFL :D

BTDT out of state with a LOT of guns...I had a headlight go out and the TX LEO...aske me the same question , well eyes got real big, then he cracked up laughing , told me a story he pulled getting pulled over with guns once...helped me find a place open to get a headlight, helped me change the light...I bought him BBQ and we discussed guns, busting birds, -important stuff...at the local diner...TX Whole 'Nuther Country...I got to come visit....I miss it...

Your trip was much better than ours.

We took a total of 10 birds between 3 hunters.

Most of the birds are in pairs or flying singles.

Sounds great! Of course, it doesn't top the "nekkid guy on the windmill". I read that one to my wife, and she not only laughed out loud, but snorted while she did so. Which for her is saying a lot! :D

Personally, I've been out 3 times in the last 4 days. If you added them all up, I'm still short of a daily limit. I went out this late this afternoon, and while I would estimate that I had at least 1500 birds pass directly overhead, only 3 were doves. The majority were red-winged blackbirds, sparrows or grackles in huge flights.

The frustrating thing was that at about 6:30PM I wasn't seeing anything, but I heard two different groups of hunters open up about a half mile down the road. From the amount of shooting, I figure they must have had a bunch of doves come in (or they were shooting at each other :eek: ).

My dog remains pretty spotty on finding the birds. There've been a couple lost in the long grass or thickets, and he just doesn't seem to be very good at sniffing them out unless he's almost right on top of them. I'm just going to have to work more with him in the yard.

Since none of Tom's family was present this year the trip was fairly uneventful other than the spectacular hunting.

Tom and his brother are responsible for 80% of the crazy stuff that happens out there. Jay (the other brother) usually brings some big city guys out to west TX and they contribute the other 20%.

All parties on this trip were ranch raised, experienced hunters and shooters.

Friday night after we had been there awhile, Tom breaks out the flares. Parachute flares, bursts, flare guns, and handhelds. After 10 or 12 the sheriff shows up. He and Tom are good friends. (By the way, Ward County Sheriff and his deputy's carry cocked and locked 1911 and .30 Carbines.)

He told Tom to slow down on the flares a little. Tom said he would, so after the sheriff left, he breaks out a Garand and starts shooting tracers. Flares started again the next night.

Cowdogpete

Back