Moisin Nagant Sniper Rifle

Well, here I go again. Over 10 years ago I bought my first sniper rifle: a brass telescoped (MK32) WW II British No 4 (T) sniper rifle complete with carrying chest. Then last year CMP sold me a M1D Special Forces Model which supposedly lacked the flash suppressor and cheekpiece - it came with both anyway and the flash suppressor is the T37 open prong type. Now, Sarco is selling Moisin Nagant sniper rifles for $595 each. My buddy & I are both buying one so we can get a small discount.

Having read Peter Shore's With British Snipers to the Reich, I was skeptical about Russian snipers although I knew some of them (including women) were excellant. While reports from Stalin's Soviet Union have some kernel of truth, it must be approached with caution because of the heavy propaganda of the times. Then I read Peter Senich's book on German Snipers and afterwards Richard Law's book on the sniper variations of the Mauser 98 which confirmed that the Moisin Nagant gave the Mauser a run for the money. (See page 180 of Law's book where he quotes a report which states: "Tests showed that with the K98k with commercial telescopic sight and selected ammunition a target the size of a chest disk could be fought against with some accuracy from a distance of 300m, not a headsize target, however. Russian sharpshooters meet these demands with their weapons, as noted from Russian firing specifications.") Finally, the Vietnamese snipers gave a very credible performance with their Moisin Nagants as related in the book Eric England: The Phantom of Phu Bai (see old thread in General Discussion Forum for my review and ordering info - if still in print).

Well, I just had to have one and our dealer is busy again.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Gary Amigo!

Sounds like you have a nice rifle coming... I heard that the Sniper Negants had a Polygonal bore, is that correct? Certainly they had a longer barrel than the 98K... Also those 98 Mausers that were tested by putting on commercial scopes were they even real Snipers or just run of the mil rifles? Cause from what I heard the Russians did a whole coustom job to make a sniper (sorta' like what our military does with the Remington...)

Happy shooting
peace
IZZY :cool:

Izzy - I believe the Mosin Nagants had conventional bores. I'll have to check it out when it arrives.

News Update: Sarco sucks. They held the check for about a month and only wrote back when I emailed them demanding assurances that the gun tendered will conform to their advertisement. You see, I learned from another website that Sarco exhausted their supplies of M91/30 Snipers with matching scope & base (the Russians, like the British, marked the scope & base so that they became inseparable from the rifle) and would supply substitutes. Heck if I'm paying good money for a substitute. What is bad is that they waited forever before even offering non-conforming goods. I'm calling on Monday and demanding a refund (which should be no problem) and then going to Empire Arms to buy a real one.

Back