Modular firearms

Beaudiamond

Inactive
Hello my name is Beau and I'm new here. I did come here for a reason, to get the opinions of a few fellow gun folks. I have three questions for all who feel like responding.

1.) Would you buy a multi-cartridge capable rifle (capable of a change in cartridge with an exchange in barrel, bolt, and magazine.) over a traditional bolt action? Assuming; it didnt sacrifice accuracy, magazine capacity/coal length, it didnt have timing issues, was ambidextrous, and was affordable.

2.) Would you buy a multi-cartidge capable revolver (more than industy standard. example 454 casull/45 colt, 357 magnum/38 special, 44 rem magnum/44 special.) over a current offered revolver? Assuming; it didnt require moon clips, didnt sacrifice accuracy, have issues ejecting cases, was concealable, and was affordable.

3.) Would you buy a modular semi-automatic pistol over current offered pistols? Assuming; it was available in common cartidges( 9mm, 10mm, 45acp), it was ambidextrous, didnt sacrifice accuracy or capacity, and was affordable.

1.Multi-cartridge rifle ? Yes-SIGSHR 970. There are others. A single shot makes a good multi-cartridge platform.
2. Multi-cartridge revolver-like a .357 or 44 Magnum ? Concealable 454/44 Magnum ? Take a little work, and overkill IMHO.
3. Modular handgun-like the M1911 ? Large selection of drop in/bolt on parts.
A 38 Super can fire 9MM with just a change of barrel and magazine, IIRC you can do the same with a 10MM to fire 40 S&W.

Yes! Get a DTA!
I shot several guns that change calibers. Makes it cheaper and I get several guns in one.

It's nice to take my DTA to the range in 1 bag and have 3 different calibers that I can shoot in a matter of 60 seconds, swaping bolt, and barrel

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Have several multi-caliber semi-auto pistols......the concept has been around for a long time. Here are some of Peter Stahls offerings.

Stahlsmulticaliber_zps0be65d3f.jpg

Hello Beau Welcome to TFL!

In order to give any answer to #1,2 &3, other than a "no", I would have to see the modular alternative being offered.

Modular can be quality, or it could be crap. Without a specific firearm as an example, the questions are meaningless.

Most people, myself included won't buy something we know nothing about (other than its modular) over something we know well. SHOW US the choice, and we'll make the decision.

Multi-caliber change barrel bolt actions do exist, but all the ones I know of are well beyond the average person's idea of "affordable".

I have T/C Contenders, have about 9 or 10 barrels, very good guns, but single shots. Multi caliber repeaters is a much more complex (and expensive) proposition.

1. Maybe. It depends on the ease and cost of conversions and the ability to hold zero.

2. Like a Medusa? Getting rimless cartridges to work in a revolver without moon clips is an ordeal. If you could figure it out and make it affordably, possibly.

3. Many current pistols already are modular. Consider Sig P250's and 320's.

Is there any reason to buy your gun instead of a Sig?

1) No.
2) No.
3) No.

I am just not motivated by a multi-caliber format. I would much rather have an exceptional quality, uniquely made, and functionally perfect example in one caliber. I already have 3 AR if I want to play with Man Legos. FWIW, I like 9mm because of higher capacity; next up would be 10mm and next would be 40.

1- No
2- Never again
3- I have several already

Many semi-autos are already modular. 1911, Glocks many others. It is cheaper for the maker that way.

So many make a huge deal out of "modular" options, but i rarely see people actually taking advantage of the systems. Most just set the gun up one way and leave it.

I'd say no to all three.
I own a T/C Encore. I've got most of the for-ends, a couple stocks, some upgrades to the host/lower and a few barrels. I've pretty much committed myself through what are actually sunk costs I can't handle losing. I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone starting out unless they were really into the novelty of having a switch barrel system.

You know what might be nifty? A modular revolver that detaches an "upper" with barrel and cylinder from a "lower" with trigger and grip. Surely one has been made before?

You could swap them out and have multiple calibers.

1. No
2. No
3. No

One down side is that if your "fire control group" fails, all of your associated and dependent conversions "kits" are useless until repairs are made. With individual firearms you just grab another gun.

Design a modern top-break revolver such that you can swap in a new barrel/cylinder assembly in a different caliber.

Or, try something like Dan Wesson's barrel swaps.

It needs stub grips so you can have any kind of grip on there.

That way, you can go from full sized magnum boomer to compact carry gun all on the same frame.

Some of the modular systems are feasible because they get around laws restricting number of firearms owned, both in the US and internationally.
The AR-15 has a serialized lower. This is an oddity and probably a mistake made long ago. In most cases the upper is serialized. One example among many is the Ruger MKX series pistols. With any new upper/lower revolver design I suspect the ATFE would demand the upper frame be serialized. At that point they system loses any attraction to those trying to own multiple calibers and remain in compliance with restrictive laws.

Cylinder and DW style barrel is the most likely.

Still, most people don't want to bother with the change over. Period.

Anyone want to buy a Shopsmith MK V?

Back