Modifying Heinie's for IDPA.

skevlar

Anyone opened up the rear notch on Heinie's for better "light" between rear & front post and acquisition? Better to open rear up or shave front sight? What dimensions have you used? TIA

Lookin thru the Slant Pros on my G30 is almost like lookin thru a window as it is. Why would you want to open it up??? :confused:

In my opinion, The amount of light gaps, of a certain sights pair, differ according to the handgun (sights' radius) and the person (arms' length). It is also pretty much personal preference.
However it's better to open the rear notch. The front blade should stay thick in order to enable easy pick up in a hurry. It's also the very reason to prefer large light gaps rather then too narrow ones.
I can recall reading somewhere Jeff Cooper's notion about front sight to be 1/10 to 1/8 inch thick. IMHO and experience it should be at least 1/8" for fast shooting.

[Edited by ctrshot on 03-16-2001 at 05:01 AM]

Most top shooters feel that narrowing the front sight is preferable to opening the rear sight notch. For smaller targets (head shots) or for shooting at distance, having a narrower front sight will give a better sight picture on target. The standard Heinie front sight is .125. One of my friends has him narrow this to .100 and gets excellent results.

This is probably more true for highly skilled shooters than for new and intermediate shooters.

Back