Modifying Colt Cowboy?

Dave AA

Hi all, recently got a Colt Cowboy, and I'm pleased, but what couldn't be improved?
I would like to lighten the trigger pull (very heavy), reset the trigger further back in the trigger guard (ala Model P), and possibly remove the transfer bar and install a hammer mounted firing pin. (looks better).

this is my first SA revolver (mostly an auto guy), so I have no idea who to contact or where to look.

Any help appreciated!

Dave

Just out of curiosity:

Why not get a Uberti replica -- they look great and shoot great and have the changes you want already -- and keep the Cowboy unmodified?

I thought about that, but I bought it because I planned on modifying it this way. I wanted a "Colt" that was a little stronger, alot cheaper, and easier to beat on without guilt than a Model P.
Besides, none of the clones turned me on. Uberties (is that how you spell the plural of "Uberti"?) just didn't feel right, and Vaqueros didn't load right.

I doubt you would be able to get a gunsmith to make the changes (assuming they are feasible) because of the liability risks. You could have the same problems if you did the work yourself and something happened. Other than a little stoning work on the trigger and hammer to smooth things up, I would leave it alone. I too, like the old style better, but I think changing the Cowboy would be more likely to ruin it than improve it.

Jim

Gotta agree with the good Doctor-you'd be better off with a SAA clone. The Cowboy is basically a poor imitation of a Ruger Vaquero. The quality of the ones I've seen and handled certainly doesn't live up to the Colt name (but then,neither does the current SAA). The mods you're looking to do to the gun will probably cost close to what the gun is worth (which is not neccesarily what you paid). If you don't like Ubertis, try a U.S. Patent Firearms SAA or one of the new American Western Arms guns, which are very nice action-wise out of the box, though the trigger will still probably need work. If the loading of the Vaquero is the only drawback, Power Custom makes a kit (hammer and trigger) that will convert a Vaquero so that it loads at the half-cock just like a Colt. It supposedly is a drop in kit, but minor fitting might be required. The kit is $160. Add that to the $350 cost of a brand new Vaquero, and you're still below the cost of a new Cowboy

Sorry if that's blunt, but I see a lot of SAAs- Colts and clones- every weekend.

Bill

I don't feel bad, I heard all about it before I got it. I still wanted it. How about just lightening the trigger pull and reseting the trigger?

Back