Modifying a LCR hogue rubber grip

HighValleyRanch

I recently discovered that one can grind rubber and modify the shape of a rubber grip. You have to use the right coarseness of disc sand paper and not get too over heated.
Then I just discovered that I could use my wood burner and stipple much like stippling polymer.

So I modified my hogue LCR grips so that they will fit in my pocket better and the new texture provides much better grip. I took off the finger grooves and slimmed them down as much as possible. The difference in the coloration is hogues difference of rubber on parts of the grip if you grind down far enough.

Anyways, it came out pretty nice, is minimal in size (smaller than Hogue's boot grip) and still functions nicely for cushioning.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC04704.JPG
    DSC04704.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 625
  • DSC04703.JPG
    DSC04703.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 647
  • DSC04705.JPG
    DSC04705.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:
Thanks!
I shot a few round of Buffalo Bore's .38 +P 158 grain Outdoorsman rated at 1076 fps with them, and although it stung a little, I was fine with them.

"You have to use the right coarseness of disc sand paper ..."

What exactly did you use? I have a friend who needs to reduce the Hogue grips on a revolver to make room for a speed loader. Thanks.

What exactly did you use?
I have a disc grinder on a stand, but he could clamp his drill into a vise.

I use 5" sanding discs and take off most of the coarse stuff with 60 grit, and then the finer stuff with 80 to 120 grit.

That came out really nice. It resembles the LCR Bantam grip, but with a grainy testure.
It's much thinner than the bantam grip which I had. Later I will post pics of the two side by side.

I didn't do as extensive a mod, but the wife and I both like having the front bump gone.

Her LCR
ZQfJ3fr.jpg

My LCRX
6XFjzOv.jpg

Back