Modify Rifle to Avoid CA Registration???

Gary H

I have an SL-8. The thumbhole grip and removable magazine make this rifle subject to registration by the end of the year. If I were to modify the stock, or replace the rear portion of the stock and eliminate the thumbhole, would the rifle be exempt from registration?

If you were able to eliminate the thumbhole and replace it with a more traditional style stock, it should be exempt from the registration/restrictions. I haven't heard of anyone offering a replacement for the SL8-1 stock.

My concern is that some entity, such as ATF, or the California Attorney General has prohibited us from altering the gun stock. I purchased the rifle from Four Seasons and Charlie had mentioned that stock modification was not allowed by ATF. I have not found such a policy, but I may not have looked in the right place.

Gary. I think that the ban (?) on modifying the stock was to change the thumbhole stock back to a pistol grip configuration. My best thought? Call your nearest friendly BATF agent, preferably from a pay phone, and ask him outright. Be sure to get his name so that you have it to refer to if the is any hassle afterards.
Paul B.

Paul B said, "Be sure to get his name so that you have it to refer to if the is any hassle afterards."

If it's not in writing, it never happened. I really believe the only way one could defend ones self would be to have it on BATF letterhead from the enforcement division.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary H:
I have an SL-8. The thumbhole grip and removable magazine make this rifle subject to registration by the end of the year. If I were to modify the stock, or replace the rear portion of the stock and eliminate the thumbhole, would the rifle be exempt from registration?[/quote]

Although I'm from Pennsylvania, I've read there has been very little (<20%) compliance with the regulations.
Why not ignore it?

Back