Modified stock Kimber walnut grips

HighValleyRanch

Ordered some stock Kimber K6 grips so that I could modifiy to what I want. I've made them from scratch, but the darn frame is very complicated to match perfectly, so I thought that it would be easier to order some walnut grips and just grind them to what shape I want.

But they aren't exactly walnut. They are laminated walnut impregnated with resin, so awful to work with. But finishes nicely with fine sand paper and polish. Still going to stipple them, but wanted to test the shape and function for a few days.

Really took a whole bunch off. You might not be able to tell from the photo, but took off 1/2" on the front strap and cut the bottom flush with the grip frame and thinned out as max as possible. I can get two and half fingers on the grip since I cut the relief much higher.

Very comfortable shooting loads from standard .38 to low to mid range .357 magnum. Now it slips into my pocket and doesn't show with tight jeans.

Warning: if you attempt this project, wear a proper respirator. That dust is awful!

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC06004.JPG
    DSC06004.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 181
Shot a hundred rounds of WWB standard .38 special with them yesterday, and ooohh, they felt so comforable! Kimber performed excellent with a four inch ragged hole at ten yards.

Even with the smooth grips, recoil control was excellent, and minimal muzzle flip.

Back