Modern side-by-side hunting shotgun

Gungnir

A while back, I posted a thread about wether or not I should have the chambers of my old BRNO shotguns modified to accept 76mm/3" magnum shells, and I was advised to proceed with caution if at all. I have now given it some thought, and I have decided to sell them instead of modifying them, and get one good gun instead of two old beaters.

So I need to pick your brains again; What are my options if I want a side-by-side shotgun with a traditional stock and a semi-pistol grip, 3" magnum chambers, changeable chokes, made in all modern day materials and able to shoot steel shot for a lifetime or two?

Stoeger makes excellent and affordable SXS shotguns. They stand up to the CAS shooters so that is saying something. CASers run their guns harder than anybody.

Sorry, I'll disagree. Stoegers are bottom of the barrel quality-wise.

Personally, you do not need 3" chambers for anything except geese. There are some really good 2-3/4" loads.

A lot will depend on your budget

Stoeger is very poor quality mfg in my view - I would not recommend any of their guns.

If you are set on a SXS then i would look at Beretta....but I would also encourage you to look at guns in 2 3/4" over only a 3"....so you have more options - but most new field grade guns will be 3".

I don't know why you are set on a SXS over an Over Under....but you have a lot more options of very good quality field guns from both Browning and Beretta in their over under lines, for a lot less money. But you should buy what you want...

What budget are you looking at / hunting, but hunting what ??

my source is after seeing many at the trap and skeet ranges go tits up, has been enough for me, cry when you buy and laugh when it lasts. my favorite double barrel is a browning bss sporter 20ga made in the mid 70,s that i bought seconded and lord kmows how many shells were fited threw it before i got it, but i have fired thousands of shells threw it since with out any problems at all. eastbank.

There are very few decisions in life wherein cost is so directly proportional to quality as when purchasing a SxS or O/U shotgun. JMHO.

Quote:
Sorry, I'll disagree. Stoegers are bottom of the barrel quality-wise.
Source?

my source is after seeing many at the trap and skeet ranges go tits up, has been enough for me, cry when you buy and laugh when it lasts. my favorite double barrel is a browning bss sporter 20ga made in the mid 70,s that i bought seconded and lord kmows how many shells were fited threw it before i got it, but i have fired thousands of shells threw it since with out any problems at all. eastbank.

Same here. Stoeger is a marketing company, like Churchill, Weatherby, et al. In the past, they imported great guns. Now, they import cheap crap that fails.

On the lower cost end but still decent quality would be the Turkish guns from AKUS who made the trigger-plate S&W Elite Gold (now the Cabelas Dickinson), Ugartechea from Spain and AyA's model 4/53 boxlock, none of which will be under a grand or two. (maybe used).

There is a LOT of labor necessary to make a good O/U, let alone a SxS so a cheaply made gun will be VERY suspect as to quality and reliability.
If money is tight, a used Savage/Fox will run about $600-$800 (and they handle like crap, I own one in 20 gauge).

"...for anything except geese..." Not really needed for geese either.
Stoeger is just the importer. I believe most of their stuff is from Brazil. Just like SA Inc. Stoeger stuff isn't horrible. Just cheaper than others. MSRP is $549 vs the $1,022.00US for a CZ Sharp-Tail .
Changeable chokes in a S x S might be an issue. More about your budget than availability though. Mind you, availability in North America is likely different than it is in 'Sunny Scandinavia'. Anyway, the CZ Sharp-Tail I mentioned comes with changeable chokes. Appears to be a CZ-USA firearm though.
Have a look at this too. Give you an idea of what's around.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_doubles.htm

There is also a reason why you see no SXS's .... on a competitive clay target field....because in general, it's an inferior design to an over under. I understand the nostalgia of a SXS -- but beyond that .....in terms of sight picture, point of impact, etc - the 2 barrels on an O/U is a superior design on clay target fields ...or for hunting in my view.

FITASC knows more about the market than I do on SXS's.....I would recommend you trust his recommendations on a SXS.

Cowboy action shooters that I know, who use some stoegers. ...use them because they're one of the cheapest guns that meet their unique rules . They actually shoot less shotgun shells in a year - than many clay target shooters ( shooting over unders) shoot in a month....2,000 shells a month easily.../ ...in general, cowboy action shooters are not shooting higher end revolvers or rifles either for that matter.

Some people just do not like O/Us, like me. I have owned them and tried a zillion, and the ONLY one that tempted me to maybe try again was a little scaled frame Beretta 28.
I hunt waterfowl in a very strange land, where they do not always drop into the decoys at 30 yards. I find 3" shells very useful.
If you would consider used shotguns, I would look at the Browning BSSs and Winchester 23s and Parker Reproductions. All have the features you want, are well made, and will stand up to 3" shells. You can have choke tubes fitted if the one you like doesn't have them. A Winchester 23 Heavy Duck would be on my list if I hunted as much as I used to. For VERY occasional 3" use, a Dickinson is a nice handling gun, but you will definitely feel a 3" load (or a stout 2-3/4" for that matter) because they are light. As noted, Beretta builds a nice SxS as well. Good luck.

CZ bobwhite looks good. It is Turkish but everyone that admits to having one likes it. CZ's quality has improved recently it seems

Decent doubles, SXS or O/U are much more expensive to make than semi's or pumps. I fully understand the advantages of the O/U, but if buying a double I'd have to go with a SXS. To me they just look and feel right, plus that is what I started using with an old gun that belonged to my grandfather.

But over the years I've tried multiple "budget" doubles with nothing but disappointment. Shotgunning is not my primary interest and it just isn't worth the expense a quality gun would cost, at least not to me. Years ago I just decided I was better off with a serviceable, but decent quality pump of semi.

If you want a double, spend the money to get a good one. If you're not willing to get a good one, there are lots of very good pumps or semi's out there that will cost less and serve you much better than a budget double.

I have a stoeger Uplander supreme and after a few hundred rounds I now have issues with double fires and the recoil engages the safety between the first and second shot making the second shot impossible.

Their customer service has been responsive but it took me a few tries to actually get them to send me a shipping label. It's been a headache and I wish I could have afforded something better quality when I bought it.

Should have the gun back in a few weeks if you want to follow up and see what the results are.

If you are telling the OP not to look for a 3" magnum double, then there is no point in him selling his perfectly good Brno 2.75s to get Something Else.

I can appreciate bargains, analyzing your "best bang for the buck", prioritizing your acquisitions based on your interests, etc.

But if you are ever going to "splurge" and spoil yourself with a high-quality gun.....make it a fine double-barrell shotgun.

CZ bobwhite looks good. It is Turkish but everyone that admits to having one likes it

I have had one for several years and have had no problems with it. Granted I have not shot it more than a few hundred times. It should fit the bill it has 3" chambers and screw in chokes. I have shot a few 3" out of mine to get a feel for it because I keep saying I am going to take it duck hunting. I am just to afriad to scratch it up so I always take my trusted Win SX3.

Back