Modern Patchbox?

Has anyone ever seen a box to be inserted into a modern stock like an old patch box? Talking about survival rifles in another forum and I thought about it. I sort of have one planned in one of my many back burner builds/customizations, but I was just planning to put something together myself. If someone made one that looked good I might be interested and some other might be interested who don't want to tinker for ten hours on such a thing.

With the increasing interest in "prepping" and "survival" guns I have to imagine there is at least a small market for such an accessory.

I have not seen one outside of muzzle stuffers but I would like to see one. something big enough to store a couple extra bullets(especially in a 22LR where you can store a lot of ammo in a small space) and some matches/ other small survival gear.

FWIW, they've been around for a long time.

For metallics, they're called "Cartridge Traps"

cartridge-trap---acevedo.jpg

sodia-vierling-trapdoor-but.jpg

G+H-206-buttplate.jpg

For detachable magazine rifles, Steyr has long been a proponent of buttstock (extra) magazine holders.

buttwell.jpg
pop_wm_5301581.jpg

Last edited:
Those are a good start, but i was thinking bigger. A few cartridges is good, but how about some matches, multi-tool, emergency blanket, and water purification tablets?
I'm talking hollow out the stock like a skeletonized stock
Then box it and fill it with goodies.

I have put "Patch Boxes" on many of my modern custom guns in the last 20 years. Mostly Mausers and Springfields, but a few on Rugers and Remingtons too, and one on a custome M-70 Winchester. They carry back-up iron sights, cleaning rods, screw drivers and so on. They are quite practical.

I've seen a few polymer stocks that were modified with a hinged recoil pad that would hold quite a bit of stuff in the stock.

Boomer

The old time patch boxes as well as the cartridge holders I have seen are not "inserted" into the stock. A hole is cut in the stock, then covered with a trapdoor of some kind, usually with a surrounding frame, though many patch boxes from the 1600's and early 1700's had sliding wood covers that just dovetailed into the stock, with no metal at all.

Jim

I know the traditional patch boxes have no "liner," but what I am considering would be larger than old patch boxes. I am afraid the stock would be weakened.
I have seen the hollow polymer stock modification, but would prefer something rigid. I think an aluminum box with a thin liner would work best. Countouring to the stock would be difficult.
I like the dovetailed cover. It would take a lot of time for me to fit something similar correctly. Have to think about that.

Last edited:
It's not quite what the OP is looking for, but when PetahW was showing the pics of Steyrs with magazine recepticles in the buttstock, he inadvertantly showed part of a storage compartment trapdoor's lid in one photo without mentioning what it was. It'd be the black bit just in front of the magazine storage opening on the grey stock. Here's mine with the things that are normally stuffed in there: a folding knife, small fire starter stick and striker and an Allen wrench of the correct size for the rifle's action screws, all kept in ziplock bags (there're a few more small items nested in the hollow spacers on the buttstock, as well)...the triangular piece is the cover for the opening:

Attachments

• MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 33
That is closer to what I was thinking. I may have to look at those in detail. I think the expense of a Steyr rifle exceeds the trouble of making one in my case though.

Back