modern inline question.

Johnywinslow

Are modern inline rifles realy that much better then older cap style rifles. I want a rifle but not all the plastic that goes with it . hawkin style is my first choice but New England firearms heritage inline riffle is wood and steel and only 169.00 , vs a 300.00 hawkin. other then the caps vs 209 primers is realy much difference other then styling? Also is there some kind of conversion to make an older style cap rifle to use 209 primers?

Inline vs caplock/flintlock

I have a Traditions Lightening inline and 2 caplock rifles (1 Kentucky style and 1 Hawken style). The inline has a stainless steel barrel and synthetic stock and uses musket caps rather than 209 primers; the caplocks have wood stocks and browned barrels. I find the only advantage to the inline design is that the cap is better protected from rain. Each has it's own particular pros and cons, and I use the inline and Hawken style caplock interchangeably.

That's the objective view. Subjectively I perfer the caplocks over the inline. I just like the older style of ignition, period. Given the fact that I have a limited supply of discretionary funds earmarked for guns, I will probably never buy another inline unless it is an outrageous deal; I'll save up and buy another caplock first.

Oh, your last question: I know of no easy conversion to use 209 primers on a caplock. If you prefer using those caps for some reason (I can think of none - I've never experienced a reliability problem with good old #10's or #11's that would make me seek an alternative) then you need to buy an inline.

This type of question always seems to open up a can of worms.
There's advantages and disadvantages to every kind of muzzle loading action and barrel twist.
Inlines shoot saboted conicals which are often more accurate for longer range hunting, but are more expensive. Their fast twist barrel does not shoot patched balls well, and sabots require cleaning between shots or loading becomes very difficult and accuracy suffers. 209 primers are more expensive and some guns require plastic primer holders to use them too.
Sidelocks are usually designed for shooting patched round balls, and cleaning between shots is usually not necessary. Depending on the barrel length, they are great mid-range hunting guns and plinkers, and the 1 in 48 inch twist barrel models shoot conicals and sabots very well, sometimes out to 75-100 yards. You can find them used for a lot cheaper than you'd expect, $100 - $200. The Traditions Deerhunter can be bought new for about $175.
Sidelocks are very reliable, but just a little less reliable than an inline. They require more careful cleaning since there is is no removable breech plug. But shooting patched balls is more economical and infinitely more fun, especially for target plinking. They are just easier to load & shoot, and don't usually require as much powder for good moderate range accuracy.
My own hunting inline uses an #11 cap and it's never failed to fire, and rarely do my properly maintained caplocks fail to fire with #11 caps. It's the flame channel & nipple that needs to be kept clean after each shooting session.
There is a device to use small rifle primers and I believe another to use #209's with some sidelock models, but reloading the cap becomes a chore since the mechanism needs to be unscrewed each time. People usually only use these as ignition insurance while hunting.
There's a glut of used sidelocks out there if you look around hard enough.
Inlines are more for hunting, sidelocks are more for recreational shooting, but both can be used for each purpose in the end. :)

Some states have restrictions on which type of action, ammo and sights can be used for BP hunting.

Last edited:
good insite!

I am getting into BP shooting for the nastalgia anywya , I dont hunt, Just love to target shoot. Ill probly stick with a hawkin style rifle, I find them to be most attractive.

I'd say if you are looking to getting into the sport for the fun, enjoyment, relaxation, and the smell of the smoke, the sidelock might be your way to go.

I own one inline, built on a traditional 1808 design, and I shoot it very little.

Looking at your first sidelock, get a rifle with a 1:48 twist, you will shoot conicals and PB's equally well. Probably best caliber to start with will be either .50 or .54

Back