Modern Gauge choices

ZVP

I bought a 20 Ga Stoger Uplander to use as a HD/ Field Gun. Origonal idea was to chop the barrels etc to mod it but it was such a pretty, well balanced and fitted gun that I couldn't do it. Glad I didn't!
Having bought it from a Pawn shop, unfortunatelly it did not come with the 12 or 28 Ga extra set of barrels , only the 20 which proved to be a great shooting set! Screw-in chokes added versitility but I am still learning the origonal ser. I think they are Mod/ IC ( not sure what the stamped dots mean?),
With my new intrest in Doubles I have noted a definate movement toward the smaller gauges of 20, 28 and 410 these days Especally the 20/28 combos. I don't have any experience with the 28 but have read some pretty glowing reviews of the gauge for all around shooting! It throws only a slightly smaller charge of shot than a 20 and seems to pattern quite well for many uses.
Being a 12 GA advocate forever, the purchase of a 20 Ga was done because of a damaged left sholder and the hope of lessened recoil. Well I sure got that!
Th further describe the little Double, it's an English cut buttstock which fits me like a glove and seems to help my trigger hand move the slight amount needd to fire both triggers very easilly and so nautral feeling! Having owned one Savage 12 GA Double in the pasr, I swore off doubles because I couldn't hit a thing. This Uplander on the otherhand, fits me perfectly and the barrels cross at a pertfrct point for EASY hits! I don't know how to describe the way it's fitted but everything is centered perfectlly for me!
You can immediatelly tell the difference between 12 and 20 ga shot loads but with the sure hit capibility of the little 20, it dosen't matter much. I really appreciate the soft recoil! I am just now trying different loads and find the 20 Ga Phesant load to be a powerfull, long renge choice. The light target loads are a dream and even the smaller 6&7 shot loads carry well.
In my redings, I noticed what seems to be a resurgence of the want of lighter gauge guns over the past couple seasons. I can attribute this to shotshell developement, producing excellent game and target loads for these lighter Gauges. ( I wonder if the same is happening with the 16 GA?).
I would not feel undergunned going after big Phesants with the 20Ga! Wirey Jacks beware also! Smaller Game birds can be easilly handled with light powder and shot loads. Evidentlly the 20 carries and patterns like a 12 with just a lesser shot load. The bulk of the pellets get there the same, just less of them but are traveling at the same velocities. Your pattern is smaller but any decent shot should be able to compensate for that. You can loose 1 1/2" around the edges and still get the job done well! It makes you into a better shot.
Rhis smaller gauge movement seems to be an American Movement, since the Europeans already had experience in that area. U.S. Shooters seem to be embracing the idea with some enthusasium.
Far as the guns go, the downsized recievers and shorter barrels make for plesant all-day carry and immediate quick swings! Ammo is also lighter thus aiding all-day carry weight. Maybe that is one of the reasons?
Personally, I think my 20Ga has shown me that a large gun isn't always necessary. You can get the same results with a lot less weight to tote around and reduced kick that leaves extra stamina late in the day!
I'w2ish the gun would've come with the 28 Gaq barrel set so I could see what they are like? Really nice I bet!
I hope I am reading the articles right because there are a lot of guns offered in the smallet Gauges in my Gun Annuals books.
Like I said for years all I used was a 12Ga for everything, and it surely will di that! However I am now finding the alternatives at a time inlife when my stamina and muscles are going downhill AT 65yrs old you DO yearn for thepower of a 30 yr old body! LOL!
How bout it? Have any of you downsized as you've ggotten older?
Thanks
ZVP

I'm a fan of the 28-ga, but all of mine are heavy tubed 12s. There's an old saying about the 28-ga: it kicks like a .410, but hits like a 20.

Just my opinion when it comes to smaller gauges.

As a first shotgun people buy the 12 gauge because it can do everything. It covers such a wide variety of wildlife that it seems like a no brainer.

Once they find that 12 gauge that they like and can do anything with they finally move on to smaller gauges.

Personally I wish I had a 20 gauge. I used my dads mossberg 500 20 gauge for years till I grew up and had to buy my own. But at the gun counter I saw the same mossberg 500 in a 12 gauge and my dad had been besting me on geese with his 12 gauge so that's what I bought. From that point geese were no problem or keeping up with my dads numbers.

But for grouse and other small birds I hate the way the 12 gauge effects them. Especially when the 20 gauge was on the mark.

I've never been interested in waterfowling, and have found my 20ga will drop a deer the same as my 12ga used to, in the jungles I usually hunt them.

Soooo, for the past 30 years, or so, I've been using a 20 for deer, and a 28ga and/or a .410 for smaller critters.

20 waterfowling?

A heavy 20 Ga load on the hands of an e experienced shot can bring em home!

Practice is the best teacher! Getting out there and shooting is the way so go shooting a Lot!!! Gotta learn those choke patterns.k
The 20 has reinvented shotgunnomg for me!
I even have #3 Buck loads and some slugs too!
My favorite shotgun to shoot these days!
Tru it you""
Ll like it!
ZVP

12 is more versatile...and these days its easy to reload or find 12ga shells in
a. 1oz ( typical 16ga load )
b. 7/8 oz ( typical 20ga load )
c. 3/4 oz ( typical 28ga load )
and of course you can go with heavy shot loads in a 12ga....1 1/8 oz, 1 1/4oz, 1 3/8oz, etc....
-----------------
at the same time its easy to get 20ga loads in 1 oz, 7/8 oz and 3/4 oz as well..
---------------
and 1200 fps ...8 or 10 pellets of 8's hits with exactly the same force, regardless whether it comes out of a 12ga or a 28ga....so the only thing that really changes is the quantity of shot.
-------
My 20ga, 28ga and .410 over unders are all identical, because they were built on the 20ga receiver ..for that model, by that mfg -- and that's common with a lot of mfg's. They're each stand alone guns....not a 3 barrel set...
-------
28 ga patterns great/its effective for a lot of upland birds. Waterfowl - No, not in my view !
-------
For games like Sporting Clays...its easy to justify and practice with a 28ga ...and 3/4 oz of 8's as a good patterning gun / good effective pattern ..and if it works on a sporting clays range / why won't it work in the field on upland birds...?? ( it does ).

Changeable screw in chokes...make all these guns more versatile....and while Skeet shooters have long shot their game with 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410's....for bird hunters, changeable screw in chokes really changed the game so they could use one gun for a lot of things.../ and it killed the 16ga, because it was never a competition gague ....and it kind of made it obsolete ( where back in the day ....we might have had a fixed choke 16ga for Pheasant (1 oz loads), a fixed choke 20ga for Grouse (7/8 oz loads), maybe a fixed choke 28ga for Quail ( 3/4oz loads ).....now with variable screw in chokes...we can have one shotgun do all that....

Heavier guns with lighter charges....are way less recoil than a light gun...

Carrying a heavy gun all day in brush was never fun...but now you can have just one light gun ...say in a 20ga...and use it for all kinds of game.../ I have a semi-auto that fits that bill --- Benelli Super Sport, 20ga, 28" barrel, screw in chokes and it only weighs 6 lbs.../ synthetic stock - good in bad weather ....
----------
But yesterday, shooting Skeet.....I went back to one of my Browning over unders, 12ga, 30" barrels, 8.5 lbs...( but I shot 7/8's loads of 8's all day)... long...)....

Yes, I could have one or two shotguns do most everything ...but that's not fun!

I'm a 12 bore person for general use as it will cover anything a s.g should be called upon to do.
The 20 bore is also versitile in it's won right & modern 1 oz loads are
pretty darned good.
Many years ago when lead shot was legal for ducks I tool quite a few woodies & teal with a 28 bore Remington 870 full using 3/4 oz. #6 shot.
Ammo was very hard to find & I chanced upon a box of Win. paper 1 oz magnum 28 ga. #6 shot and did very well with it.
Nothing wrong with a 20 for small game & s.d.

Back