modern caliber

robvasi

Inactive
I am interesting in getting a revolver that resembles an old-west revolver. Suggestions on brands, or is this a matter of what appeals to me? Is there a brand that I should avoid?

Since I plan to shoot the gun I buy, I would like to know if the replica guns can shoot modern rounds. If the gun is chambered for .357 will any .357 fit and fire?

vasi

Thank you for your reply.

So, if the description states that the revolver is chambered for .357, can it shoot any .357 round?

Thank you for your reply.

So, if the description states that the revolver is chambered for .357, can it shoot any .357 round?
It will work with just about any .357 Magnum load within SAAMI specs.....Ruger-only loads are a no-go. It won't work with .357SIG.

Another option is a SA revolver in .45ACP. All the fun of .45 Colt ammo at half the price.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yes, a .357 Magnum single action will fire all usual .357 Magnum ammunition.
Also any .38 Special, including .38 Special +P and +P+.
Also .38 Short Colt and .38 Long Colt, although those are not common enough to be listed in the catalog like they used to be.
But NOT .38 S&W, which is from a different family tree.

I recommend the Ruger. It is very strong and durable and the transfer bar action lets you load all six chambers safely; unlike the Colt and its Italian replicas which should have an empty chamber under the hammer when at rest or holstered.

Howdy

The 357 Magnum cartridge was developed by Smith and Wesson in 1935.

Shortly afterward, Colt chambered the Single Action Army for 357 Mag.

Although not as large as a similarly chambered Ruger Blackhawk, any replica of the Single Action Army is still a large revolver, with lots of steel around the chambers of the cylinder.

The cylinders in this photo, left to right, are Colt Single Action Army chambered for 45 Colt, Ruger New Vaquero chambered for 357 Magnum, and Uberti Cimarron Cattleman chambered for 45 Colt.

With modern steel there is plenty of meat surrounding the chambers of a single action revolver of this size to safely shoot SAAMI max pressure 357 Magnum ammunition.

cylinder_bevels.jpg

But watch out, the recoil may surprise you.

Wellcome to the Form Vasi

Clone's galore can be had. Buy the real Mc Coy. >Colt 1873 Peacemaker.

As some other wiser than I quipped: _" Buy once. Cry once. Thereafter Happiness in it's shooting.

Howdy

The 357 Magnum cartridge was developed by Smith and Wesson in 1935.

Shortly afterward, Colt chambered the Single Action Army for 357 Mag.

Although not as large as a similarly chambered Ruger Blackhawk, any replica of the Single Action Army is still a large revolver, with lots of steel around the chambers of the cylinder.

The cylinders in this photo, left to right, are Colt Single Action Army chambered for 45 Colt, Ruger New Vaquero chambered for 357 Magnum, and Uberti Cimarron Cattleman chambered for 45 Colt.

With modern steel there is plenty of meat surrounding the chambers of a single action revolver of this size to safely shoot SAAMI max pressure 357 Magnum ammunition.

But watch out, the recoil may surprise you.

Thank your for the detailed description and photos of the chambers. I asked this question in a gun shop and the salesman didn't give me a clear answer. He told me what the cowboy shooters use, and then admitted he was not a 'revolver guy.'

I fired a Ruger, and a Smith and Wesson, and then fired an replica revolver. Indeed, there was more recoil from the replica. Old west cowboys had stronger hands, or so it seems.

Here is one I am considering:

COLT SAA 5 1/2" 45 B+ Engraved

What does the B+ infer?

Factory New Condition

$4,650

I realize that guns are not investments. Even so, will a gun like this decrease in value or increase? My guess is that it will increase in value, albeit, not as much as equity.

B+ is the engraving coverage. In Colt parlance A is the least, D is full coverage. (S&W is the other way 'round.)
B+ implies greater coverage than regular B but not as much as C.

The big question is whether it is FACTORY engraving and whether it is standard, expert, or master (signed) quality.
Aftermarket engraving can be of high quality and very attractive but does not give nearly as much added value as factory engraving.

A lot of people are reluctant to shoot engraved guns (except shotguns) for fear of putting wear on the embellishments. I'm not, but my only engraved revolver was done aftermarket and didn't cost $4000+, either.

So you really need to think about your actual needs and interests before you splurge on an engraved gun at triple the base gun's price.

They are pricey aren't they?

When did Colt stop making the Peacemaker?

Technically, Colt has not stopped making the Single Action Army.

But Colt has been plagued with bad management decisions for years, and one of those decisions was to drastically cut back on how many assemblers were working in the Custom Shop to assemble Peacemakers. So the last I heard is that the backlog is so long that Colt has stopped taking orders for Peacemakers until the backlog is significantly reduced.

Why do they cost so much compared to the imports?

Probably licensing costs, labor costs, bad management, and who knows what else.

Just so you know, there is a new player in town. Standard Manufacturing recently began selling an American made copy of the Colt Single Action Revolver. And they are just as expensive as Colts.

http://www.stdgun.com/sa-revolver-1/

Old west cowboys had stronger hands, or so it seems.

As I said, the 357 Magnum was invented in 1935. Most Old West Cowboys (1873 until about 1900) would have been firing one of the old Black Powder cartridges, such as 45 Colt, 44-40, 38-40, or a few others. I fire Black Powder 45 Colt cartridges in my Colts all the time. The recoil is nothing like a 357 Mag. 357 Magnum recoil is a quick, sharp whack to the hand. Black Powder 45 Colt recoil is stout. It will raise the muzzle up quite a lot in recoil. But if you allow the grip to rotate in your hand during recoil, it is not punishing. At least I don't think so.

Pistol%2002_zpsx1mghgzu.jpg

B+ is the engraving coverage. In Colt parlance A is the least, D is full coverage. (S&W is the other way 'round.)
B+ implies greater coverage than regular B but not as much as C.

The big question is whether it is FACTORY engraving and whether it is standard, expert, or master (signed) quality.
Aftermarket engraving can be of high quality and very attractive but does not give nearly as much added value as factory engraving.

A lot of people are reluctant to shoot engraved guns (except shotguns) for fear of putting wear on the embellishments. I'm not, but my only engraved revolver was done aftermarket and didn't cost $4000+, either.

So you really need to think about your actual needs and interests before you splurge on an engraved gun at triple the base gun's price.
Thank you for your reply. I will ask if it is factory engraved or not.
I doubt if I would shoot this gun. I would need to know if it damage the finish, and if by shooting it the value would decrease.

My home is outfitted, or as some might say, 'decorated' which is a term I don't use, in reproductions of historical objects; King Tut's dagger, a Greek sword and a Roman sword, and a Renaissance sword and dagger. As for guns, I own one, an 1805 Harper's Ferry Pistol.

When I saw this colt, I thought it would be a nice gun to display. The price is more than I want to pay. I could buy a three guns for the price, but it sure looks good.

If shooting it would not damage it, or diminish it's value, the I would shoot it. if I owned it.

I doubt if I'll buy it. There are other places to spend that money, like a trip to Europe. When I state it like that, it puts it in perspective.

Thank you for your guidance.

I realize that guns are not investments. Even so, will a gun like this decrease in value or increase? My guess is that it will increase in value, albeit, not as much as equity.

The investment value of old guns is very unpredictable. Up to the whims of the market place and what anyone is willing to pay at any point in time. Some models will increase in value, some will not. Very generally speaking you will do better to invest in the stock market than to invest in firearms.

I buy lots of old guns. Some are pretty valuable. I do not buy them as investments. I buy them for the pleasure of owning them. Some I shoot, some I do not. When the time comes to liquidate my collection, hopefully they will be worth more than when I bought them. Hopefully.

I NEVER display guns.

NEVER!

You don't know who might be peeking in the window to see what easy pickings are there.

This is true. My step daughter got married and moved her husband in. He ruined my wife's car and I got pretty hot about it. While I was at work the next day he ran out on her and took 15 of my handguns with him.

Back