Model 94 30-30 16" or Longer Barrel?

Jason Nester

Inactive
I am looking to purchase a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 WCF and would like to know how much velocity is lost with a short 16" Barrel as opposed to a 20" Barrel. Will accuracy suffer with the shorter barrel? I am looking at the Wrangler or Trapper Model. Any advice would sure be appreciated!

im not sure on the velocites but my win in 30-30 has a 26 in bbl but i do have one in 44.mag that has one ove the 16and change bbls on it (trapper) if i get a chance i will try and get a velocity check done on the long bbl 30-30

Velocity will suffer somewhat in the 16" bbl, but nobody gets the 30-30 for its blazing speed anyway.My guess is you'll lose about 150 FPS,and that 26" rifle will gain about that much.Once the powder is burnt, extra bbl length gives less velocity, from friction.

A 20 bbled 94 is one very compact and handy pkg. I can imagine few instances where the 16" bbled version is an improvement,and some where it's detrimental.

Are you going to scope this?The sight radius is already short with the 20". A peep's one great setup on these.

I have the Winchester in 16 and 20in. For hunting get the longer barrel. For a truck gun get the Trapper. Accuracy appears about the same. I like the Trapper but I don't hunt.Get it in a rifle cal.

When picking AR15, I went with a 20" over 16" to reduce muzzle flash and noise. Any improvements in velocity or accuracy we incidental.

For a rifle used off-hand, I'd go strictly by how well it balances. If an M1 cabine balances better for you than a Garand, you might actually do better with it...same for the 30-30.

Back