Model 88 winchester won't fire!

Spracklin

Inactive
Hey everyone, I Inhereted a model 88 winchester. 308 from my old man and it wont fire. I've done some research and it turns out that this model was recalled for a firing pin issue and it is very haRd to track down a new pin. I have never seen this rifle fired or even brought out in my life so I am kind of in the dark. We took it out last weekend and everything seems right, it clicks but does not strike the primer. I'm just curious if maybe the pin is just gummed up from sitting so long? Does anybody know how to properly clean this particular rifle? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

Do a Google search on "Winchester 88 manual" and you will find both original manuals and reprints for sale; I suggest getting one before doing any disassembly.

Gun Parts (www.gunpartscorp.com) shows the firing pins as available at $29.60, if you need one.

Jim

I'm just curious if maybe the pin is just gummed up from sitting so long?

It's possible that your firing pin has been "cemented" in situ by the use of WD-40 that turns to hard varnish after 6 months or more of sitting. Go to Walmart and get a can of their "Supertech" carburetor cleaner and carefully apply it to the bolt through the firing pin hole.

Be careful not to get any on your stock; It will take the finish off.

Back