Model 700 VTR & Model 7

wjarrell

Long time reader, first time writer. A lot of great info on here! Anyways I have a chance to get a Remington VTR or Model Seven both in 308 and both bone stock and both with less than 100 rounds through them. Neither is going to cost me a penny as I am trading a Browning shotgun for. This gun is going to be used for deer and pig, maybe elk. I hunt on foot most of the time so I walk a lot. What do you guys think? Out of the two which one is generally more accurate? Thanks guys.

I'd go with the 7, myself. I'v always thought the triangular barrel on the VTR is a little silly. also, the model seven is 2" shorter and 1 lb. lighter. I'm not sure how the stock on the model 7 you are looking at is, but the VTR has a cheap plastic stock with no bedding, same as was on my SPS varmint which I swapped out asap.

The 7 is designed as a hunting rifle. The VTR as a target rifle. Out of box, the lighter weight of the 7 would steer me in that direction based on your intended uses. The plastic stocks may look cheesy, but don't ever let anyone tell you they don't shoot. I've seen too many shoot tiny sub 1/2" groups. Including one of the VTR's.

The 7 action looks very similar at a glance, but is shorter overall, with a larger loading/ejection port. In order to do this the rear receiver bridge is shorter. Original guns only had room for 1 scope mounting screw on the rear requiring 1 piece mounts. Newer guns use 2 screws very close together.

The 700 has a stiffer action, most likely more accurate. There are far more aftermarket options too. If you decide to replace either stock there are very few options for the 7, and most of those are high end such as McMillan.

Thank you guys for the replies. The Model 7 has a cheep 3x9 Redfield and the VTR has a 4.5x14x42 Burris Fullfield ll on it so in my opinion the VTR has a better scope. Are there any aftermarket stocks for the VTR?

As I said, my 700 had the same stock as the vtr. I replaced it with a choate tactical rifle stock and saw an immediate improvement. I did not calculate it, but it was somewhere in the area of 20% improvement. It was still a sub MOA shooter with the cheap stock, so take what you will from that.

Taking the scopes into account, the vtr is probably worth $200 more.... but I still think the model 7 would do better for hunting.

I'd go with the VTR. Any aftermarket part you want is available, the triangular barrel make the weight very manageable for a hunting rifle, and the 700 action is well proven.

I'm not sure how the VTR qualifies as a 'target' rifle, my shooting buddy bought one with a factory camo stock. I think the triangular barrel is a gimmick, but the weight savings are very real. My sps-v will outshoot it any day of the week, but it's definitely not as fun to carry around.

The VTR has a nice weight balance shooting off hand and would very nicely fit your requirements.

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, Im new to this forum as a poster, long time reader. I need some help. I'm looking into purchasing a rifle, the Owner says its never been fired. It's a Remington 700, chambered in 30-06, stainless action/barrel. He says it's untouched, the part that is throwing me is that he says it is an SPS CDL, which I haven't really heard of, can someone clarify, or let me know If he's full of it. I don't want to commit till I know. I haven't seen it in person yet. Any help is appreciated.

There is no such thing, that I can find... sps are synthetic stocked models. CDL should be their high grade walnut stock.

Thank you nemesis, that's kinda what I thought, but I'd rather doubt myself before them, you know? This guy is insistent that it's an SPS CDL, is there a way to know for sure what is? Serial?

He is probably just confused about the acronyms. if it has a synthetic stock, it is an sps. If it has a walnut stock, it may be a CDL, possibly a CDL SF and his is mistaking sf for sps. If you get the specs on the gun, and maybe a picture, im sure someone here can identify it. Check out the remington website, you may be able to ID it yourself.

A "cheap" redfield. Whats a cheap redfield. There owned by leupold and the revolutions is a fine scope. And older real redfields is nothing to snort at ether.

You can her to ask what to get. if you want a odd looking heavier rifle to hum around in the woods then go buy the other remmy. The consensus to but the model 7. If you just gots have the other scope see if you can throw in a few bucks for a swap !. Personally I would leave it be and take the model 7 as is , the fullfield II ain't a big deal of a scope ether. . A 4.5 minimum power is fine on a bean field rifle for a closer shot in a larger cartridge but with 308 a 3-9 has worked well for many decades for many hunters .

Back