Model 70 Trigger

JLK

I have a Winchester Model 70
Was thinking of replacing the trigger with either a Jewel or Timny
Any experience or advice as to the better choice .
Ease of instillation as well as how well they work.

Model 70's can be finicky. I had to take mine to a smith' to grind some metal on the bolt. I used a Timney trigger. I've replaced a lot of triggers and they were all straight up drop in. I never had any problems until the M70.

I wouldn't replace a M70 trigger no way, no how! It is one of the simplest designs and most reliable triggers ever made if it is the old style trigger. With the old trigger if you hunt in very hard conditions you'll never have it fail to work from dirt and grime or freeze up if it get's wet in cold weather. It can be honed into a very consistent safe hunting trigger pull weight with little to no creep.

If it is the New MOA trigger of which I only have one, I've found it to be a very good trigger in it's own right. As an enclosed trigger it'll take more maintenance to keep free of dirt and grime, and does have the possibility of freezing up in cold weather if it has moisture in it. However, as a trigger it's no different than the maintenance a Timney or Jewel will take.

For $6.95 plus shipping you can get a lighter weight pull by simply replacing a trigger spring on either of the M70 triggers. Just go to Ernie the Gunsmith's web page for your trigger spring needs. If you need anymore work than replacing the springs such as honing the sear, find a qualified gunsmith to do that work.

My 3 USRAC M70's have very nice adjustable triggers. Just don't go crazy tightening those little jam/lock nuts.

Which model 70?

The pre-2008 rifles have a very simple, rugged, dependable trigger, but from the factory they are often not the smoothest or lightest. Once worked on by someone who knows what they are doing they can be as good as needed on a hunting rifle. Personally I'd not give up the rugged foolproof design.

The FN made rifles since 2008 have a different trigger. It is typically much better from the factory and can be adjusted down to around 3 lbs which is as light as I want on a hunting rifle. I know some guys who want to go lower than 3 lbs that have replaced them, but I don't see the need.

I did one and used Jewell trigger. You have to remove some material around existing trigger to make room for the new one and little work on trigger guard.

Was it worth it , sure and no matter how much or what gunsmith does to factory "You" are never going to adjust that trigger like you can using a Jewell.

Can gunsmith adjust trigger and do good job, yes

I hunt Co and I've had Jewell's down to 27 below never froze trigger.

If you just want set pounds a good gunsmith could do that.

old roper said:
I hunt Co and I've had Jewell's down to 27 below never froze trigger

Yes Colorado can get cold, but it's hardly ever what I'd call wet. Of course a frozen trigger is a rarity here. Places like coastal Alaska, Washington, and Oregon are different stories, same as the northern part of the eastern seaboard, or any state close to the great lakes. Hell the coldest night I ever spent camping courtesy of the Army was Ft Polk LA. It rained on us all day and and we were soaking wet, temps then dropped to 17 degrees that night, so yes a trigger could possibly freeze up where you'd least expect it. We had a few soldiers go down with frostbite and hypothermia that night.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the Model 70 trigger. Its easy to adjust. When you get it adjusted to suit you, steal wife/girlfrends fingernail polish and put a dab on the adjustment screw. It will stay put.

I have two AMU built M-70 target rifles, they both still have the Winchester Triggers. The Army Marksmanship Unit must believe they are ok, they certainly know what they are doing.

JLK
Replaced the trigger on a Springfield 1903 with the Timney
Replaced the trigger on a Remington 700 with a jewell,. I use this rifle for benchrest shooting only. Bought the trigger from Jewell direct, they set it to 8 ounces, easy install. Both are good triggers. Clean the triggers with charcoal lighter fluid, nothing else. It cleans & lightly lubes.

There is a reason you can buy a factory drop in trigger for the remington but not so common for the winchester. They are pretty simple to work on and very reliable.

Taylor force, I'm a very short drive from Fort Polk. People that are not from the south can't really appreciate the difference humidity makes when the weather gets below around 28 degrees. I've only seen 17 degrees here twice in my life and both times I was on the water duck hunting. Good thing you weren't there when they had the 10 inches of rain in 8 hours just a few years ago.

I tried to adjust the factory trigger. They had poured glue or something
Over the trigger adjustment screws .
So I ordered the Timny.

JLK, you could probably use fingernail-polish remover on that. If you do replace the trigger, save all your original parts. The original model 70 trigger is one of the most respected triggers ever made. I expect it's better than what you will replace it with.

JLK said:
I tried to adjust the factory trigger. They had poured glue or something
Over the trigger adjustment screws .

Sounds like a MOA trigger on a newer M70 rifle not the old New Haven made M70's. This is a common problem that everyone has been talking about for years. Basically you're replacing a Timney trigger with a Timney trigger.

Original M70 trigger, awesomely simple.
Original%20M70%20tirgger.png

Timney and M70 MOA trigger, basically the same.

large-62-Win-MOA-Model-402-web.png

MOA.jpg

I rebarreled my M70 with a heavy barrel and I mostly use it to shoot steel targets. I couldn't get the original trigger down to the weight I wanted. If I recall as low as I could get it was 2.5 pounds. I have it set now at 14 ounces.

I like my old style 70 triggers, they have a reputation for being impervious to bad weather and dirt, (like my triggers get dirt in them:D).
I like Timney triggers in a host of other rifles though, easy to install and easy to tune.

I have a Model 70 Varmint, .22-250 that I got in the 80s. The trigger was very good when I got it, and adjusted easily to just where I wanted it.

If you want a lighter feeling pull, just add a trigger shoe...

Does any one know what size the nut is that holds the adjustment screw ?

Fairly small..:p

Not sure, 3/8"? maybe?? and no, I'm NOT going to drag out my rifle and tear it down just to answer, :D

Back