Model 70 Super Grade

Wendyj

I ran on a few of these in 308 and 6.5 cm. I’m just wondering if the new triggers and accuracy is better than my old 1988 model 70. It’s a 2.5 inch grouper at best. For the cost of them now I’d like to know if anyone here has a newer production. Also looking at the Featherweight in 300 wsm for Anniversary present for the husband. Gorgeous wood and good looking guns but I’m still partial to Tikka and Sako.

Tough question, because the model 70 has "migrated" its production around in intervening years. A friend who has a model 70 in 270 Weatherby of similar vintage to yours which I work on can be exceptionally accurate with standard factory ammo. I bought a model 70 in 270 WSM a year out so ago and was disappointed by the rather shoddy rifling job that FN did in their Portugal factory where the model 70's are now made. It can be decently accurate with the painstakingly right load, but can also throw groups of 6 to 7 inches with stuff it "doesn't like." I have a talent for attracting defective guns and equipment, so I wouldn't necessarily say that is typical of their modern production. Other than that, I think the model 70 is one of the finest bolt action rifles ever conceived.:) Ruger's M77 Hawkeye is of similar construction and just as good IMO, I like the smoothness of it's safety just a tad more than that of the M 70. Either one I think anyone could be proud to have in their collection.

Last edited:
I can only provide one anecdote, a recent "Safari" version of the new M70. Still working up loads, and need to get back to the range soon, but here are my results to date. First time out shooting Barnes commercial 400 TSX, I recorded "OK group". This was with the open sights. Full workup with Hornady 400 DGX, this time with a new Leupold set at 5X, I recorded "Minute of Buffalo", about 3 1/2". Starting load with Barnes 300 "Great group", as in one (big) ragged hole. I think it is capable, but just how good remains to be seen. The action is smooth and reliable. Trigger is fine, but I am the wrong guy to rate triggers (if it doesn't suck, I'm fine with it). Overall a nice rifle. But against Tikka and Sako?? I'm not ready to brag on it.

Well, I see a few of these in and out of my shop every year. So, typical accuracy is around 1 to 1-1/2 MOA. Worst I have seen was around 2-1/2". Best I have shot myself was right around 3/4" at 100 yds. But keep in mind that Model 70s are a hunting rifle, not an accuracy rifle, and the weak link in a hunting rifle is the hairless monkey attached to the butt end. Under field conditions, that 1-1/2 MOA rifle will shoot just as well as a 1/2 MOA plastic stocked tubular action rifle. I hunted with a Ruger 77 for a number of years, killed deer and pigs and ground squirrels and coyotes with it, and the best it ever shot was about 1-1/2 MOA.

Model 70s are an "old school" action: massive forging, flat bottom, forged bolt, integral recoil lug on the receiver (compared to Savage, Remington, Ruger et al who use tubular actions, mlti-piece bolts, captured recoil lug, etc, etc). Not much different than a similar rifle 100 years ago. But they are pretty: nice wood, cut checkering, blued steel. A friend of mine has gone through his gun cabinet over the past year and replaced all his rifles with 6 Model 70 Super Grades. 243, 270, 30-06, 338 Win Mag, 375 H&H, and 416 Rem Mag, IIRC. He wants me to make him a 7-08, I told him just buy another 70 Super Grade in 243 or 308 and I'll rebarrel it and it'll match the rest.

I’m thinking minute of Antelope for myself. 1.5 inch groups would be ok I suppose but you would think for the money they could at least do MOA or better. Still, probably the best looking wood I’ve seen on a rifle in a long time. I really never thought it would be a bench rest tack driver but was sure hooping the newer models at what they cost now would do better than my old one. Took a lot of reloading to get the groups it does get. Factory ammo in it for most parts in just not worth it.

I will say that I like the older model 70 trigger better than new intregal unit--the new one is a clear cut example of "if it ain't broke, fix it.";)

My model 70 fouls up fast, especially towards the muzzle, so even after just a half dozen shots it may take an hour or more to clean the bore. The first three though, can usually be pretty accurate with the right load, which is really all you need from a hunting rifle. Just shot this in windy conditions this afternoon, I definitely flinched and pulled one of the shots. I find the stiffness of the new trigger makes it more challenging for me than the old style trigger; but I suspect the lawyers had a say in the change.;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 270 WSM 135MK 60.4 H4350.jpg
    270 WSM 135MK 60.4 H4350.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 169
Looks good for 200 yards
Thanks, I got my friend's model 70 in 270 wby mag to do a 1 hole 3 shot group at about the same distance using factory ammo. Of course, these can be dismissed as occasional groups, but I think the model 70 platform is an inherently accurate one once you get the hang of it.

Generally speaking, the assorted Winchester 'Grades" are largely cosmetic only. The primary difference between 'em is the stock material and metal finish. And about $400 in the MSRP.
"...minute of Antelope..." Is different when hunting 'em. Depends on what antelope too. Ain't the same on a pronghorn as it is on a Dik Dik. snicker.

Back