Model 70 Super Grade

Stats Shooter

I just bought a model 70 Super Grade. I am not the 1st owner, but it is still new in the box, never even had a scope mounted on it.... Still has the barrel stickers.

It was made in 2012 as part of a Midway promotion set called the "Nearly Perfect Battery" where the set of super grades were a 22-250, 270, 300 wm, and .375 HH. The one I bought is the .300 wm.

It has all the usual stuff of the newer supergrades except that the barrel is 24" and not 26" , and it was made and assembled in the USA while the more recent ones were assembled in Portugal.

Oh, and the stock is darker . But it is a beautiful rifle. Obviously has the controlled round feed action, moa trigger, and glossy finish.

I haven't shot it yet but I'm putting a Swarovski Z3 on it with low ring.

I am excited to begin load development, I'm thinking about either the 210gr Accubonds or the new 212gr hornady ELD-x.

Any Model 70 owners: what accuracy can I expect from a well tuned hand load in this rifle? I know all guns are different, but some makes/models are inherently accurate.

Also, what weight bullet is anyone using in their Model 70 for elk? Like I said I'm leaning towards the 210 or 212 but I'm open to suggestions

My buddy won a set of all four Supergrade rifles like yours. He hasn't had a problem making them all shoot under an inch. Most did it with factory ammunition as well as his hand loads.

For elk any 180 grain hunting bullet will do well, any lighter I'd look at bonded or all copper bullets for my first choice. 200-210 grain bullets aren't going to give you any real advantage at normal hunting ranges. I think you'll be happy with the rifle, though you might find it a little heavy chasing elk in the mountains.

While mine aren't Super Grades, they both shoot very well. Loads were easy to dial in and they are very attractive and classic rifles. I am not surprised you bought the 300 WM. You seem to have a thing for the cartridge. :)

I have a Featherweight 300 WSM that is such a great rifle I can tell you. It's a CRF New Haven model that is perfect. Shoots 210 ABLR into ragged holes.

I also have a New Haven Classic DBM in 7mm Rem Mag with 26" tube.

Hate to say it but.... one ragged hole. :p

You done good. They are the Rifleman's rifle for a reason.

I am not surprised you bought the 300 WM. You seem to have a thing for the cartridge.

My first center fire rifle was a .300 wm when I was 14. Before that I borrowed my dad's rifles for hunting/shooting. We didn't have enough money growing up for me to own several rifles so my dad got me a Savage 110 on sale .300 wm for $180 new so that I could hunt elk with him and mule deer, and the .30-06's and .270's were out of stock or not on sale.

I got it for my birthday in September and that fall I shot a 250lb 6x6 mule deer and a cow elk with it. I then over the next several seasons shot a 180 score white tail, a 4x5 bull elk, a couple antelope and several does etc..

So I have a nostalgic attachment to the cartridge. Today I am fortunate enough to make enough to buy whatever I want, and I do have .270 win's, .308's, .338 LM, .223, and a .375 HH. And of course a .300wm,
But when I got a chance to own "The rifleman rifle" in supergrade, there was no doubt the chamber I wanted.

So yes, I have a slight crush on the .300 wm :D:D

I can relate. I have the same story with my 7mmRM Model 700 from Dad when I was a boy. I've shot many Deer with that rifle. :D

This thread needs a picture or two though.....

scope and rings

Ill attach a pick once I get the scope and rings put on. I went with Warne bases and rings, 2 piece base. And a Swarovski 4x12x50 BRH scope....should be a good setup.

IMG_20170517_153611.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG_20170517_154347.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG_20170517_152354113_HDR.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Here's the pics. The resolution isn't great, had to shrink it to get it on here.

I made 50 rounds using some leftover H4831, 30 Hornady 165 gr spire points, 8 180 nosler Accubonds I pulled from some loads a while back, and 12 175 gr match kings. All loaded to 54K psi for rifle break-in and fire forming.

The Hornadys shot so poorly I thought maybe my scope was moving, or my bases loose, or action screws etc... Like 6 MOA. Even though it was not a load I had honed in, 6 MOA is terrible. But with the same pressure, the 180 Accubonds shot 3/4" and the smk 1" on a "shot in the dark" load. That's encouraging because, worst case scenario, if the partitions shoot poorly and I can't find an alternative, 180 Accubonds at 1/2 moa will get it done I think on elk.

Last edited:
Back