Model 70 magazine pillar

stagpanther

Thought I might pass on a "secret weapon" I developed for an old model 70 sporter stock that suffered from wood compression and warping. Because the main receiver screws are so far apart--and the middle one essentially is "hanging in thin air" with no material between the bottom metal and the hole in the receiver--I ground down a pillar which I simply drop in and then torque the middle screw down--this gives a midpoint support between the front and rear receiver screws.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3469.jpg
    IMG_3469.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3470.jpg
    IMG_3470.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 120
I like that.
I either remove that screw or barely tighten it.
There is a ton of info on that particular subject on gun forums.
I may take your fixing and run with it.

I lesrned to do tht over 35 yesrs ago, it's about the only way to get a Model 70 trigger guard to keep from flopping around.

I lesrned to do tht over 35 yesrs ago, it's about the only way to get a Model 70 trigger guard to keep from flopping around.
Great minds think alike? ;)

I may take your fixing and run with it.
Have at it. Notice that I bedded the bottom metal inlet (though not an especially neat job as you can see from the area immediately around the pillar:o) because unevenness can result in putting the screw/pillar in at an angle--that can cause alignment issues with things like the magazine floor plate.

Last edited:
The main issue you have with the center screw is difficulty latching the magazine if you tighten the rear screw too much. Putting a pillar there eliminates the issue.

Glue bolt action magazines in place and have clearance to everything when in the stock. This is called "free floating" the magazine

Back