Model 70 actions

Polinese

I know Montana Rifle Co has their action which is very similar. Does anyone know here I can get Winchester Model 70 actions, preferably with the old style trigger? I'm talking newly made ones like the Dumoulin Mauser actions or the various Rem, Savage ones you can purchase.

The Montana action is a copy of the Model 70; the Mauser, Remington, and Savage are all bolt actions but all are different from the Model 70.

(The Model 70 was an upgraded Model 54, which was based on the M1903 Springfield, which in turn was a composite of the Model 1893 Mauser and the Model 1898 Krag. The Remington 7xx series uses a whole different action, as do the modern Savages.

Jim

I was referring to how you can purchase Rem and Savage actions.

I know winchester is making new model 70's though I personally prefer the old trigger, the fewer parts the better.

I'm looking for just the action though not a complete rifle.

You cannot buy a new Model 70 action all by itself, so you need to find a donor rifle. The USRAC Model 70 Classic from the 1990s are great actions, but even the newer FNH-USA ones are very nice. Just make sure you get a controlled round feed action rather than a push feed action.

I don't think anyone sells just the actions, but you have several options for buying a donor rifle to build off of.

Many will say that a pre-64 action is what you want, and it may well be the best choice to build a custom rifle on. If you can find one, or a donor rifle at a fair price. It is doubtful, if I already owned one that would be a great start.

From 1964-2006 Winchester made pushfeed (PF) actions. They are solid reliable actions and donor rifles can often be found at very good prices. They use the same trigger as the older guns and if you don't require controlled round feeding (CRF) this would be the cheapest route.

Winchester brought back CRF actions in the early 1990's called the "Classics". They were made at the same time as the PF rifles until Winchester closed in 2006. From the 90's to 2006 the Classics were Winchesters top tier rifles and those with PF actions were the budget guns. The Classics were very good rifles, mostly better than the pre-64's. Today typical used Classics sell for as much or more than pre-64's.

FN started making 70's in 2008-present. They are very nice rifles, but with a different trigger. Out of the box it is much smoother, but is much more complex. On a rifle to be used in harsher conditions most would prefer the older style trigger.

I go to pawnshops and a few other websites here locally to find donors for my builds.
Usually gunshow prices for such donors are high, making it too expensive to go that route.
Pawnshops are were the Gold is at...

All the post 64 with claw extractor M70 rifle in pawn shops I have seen were expensive. ~~ $600. Maybe that is just local to Seattle.

I have been getting pre 64 M70 rifles for less.

Typically I can get a pre 64 30-06 with sawed off butt and recoil pad added for $550 at gun shows.

Note that I have not done any checking on this, but I don't think it would be too difficult to convert a push feed rifle to controlled feed when you are going to install a new barrel anyway.

Jim

The Montana action is a Mauser action.
http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=10
Isn't the right timed of year to be looking for used hunting rifles anywhere. Best time is just after deer season when the guys who missed the deer blame the rifle instead of themselves and sell it. Usually with a scope. For builders, the scopes, stock and barrels become trading goods or get sold outright.

The Montana action looks a lot closer to the Model 70 than to the Mauser, especially since the OP wants a Model 70 type trigger.

Jim

Worst case I'll use the Dumoulin Mauser actions on Sarco. I have two bolt guns I wanna put together and was going to use those given the price but then it occurred to me to see if I could get the Model 70 actions as I like them a bit more than the 98's.

I have one of the classic crf ones from the 90s and my bull barreled 308 is one of the FN made winchesters. Pity there aren't more crf actions around.

FWIW, the FN SPR is essentially a modern M70 action with a pre-64 trigger. CDNN used to sell the actions, but they're long gone. If you're lucky, you might be able to find one (or a donor rifle) on gunbroker.

Going up the price point, I think you can also still buy Dakota 76 actions (but not sure where).

Still further up the price point for those with very deep pockets are Granite Mountain and Satterlee actions.

FWIW, I've not read very many good things about MRC - their rifles or their actions.

The montana action is too expensive anyways. I could just buy a brand new model 70 and sell off the barrel and stock.

Thanks for the leads though

Rem 700 rifles are commonly available at pawn shops for $400.
Bonus for getting a Leupold scope with it for that price.
They often shoot surprisingly well with the original factory barrel.
I would not want to go to war with one or up against dangerous game, but you can hunt deer in your wedding clothes and not get dirty....the Rem700 is reliable enough for deer and the 4 or 5 I own are accurate with the original barrel and accurate with the swap out to premium barrel.

The Kimber [ I have a Kimber Montana ] is like a M70 .Basically a Mauser , with 3 position safety, adjustable trigger .

The Kimber [ I have a Kimber Montana ] is like a M70
Actually, the Kimber 84 action is everything the post-64 Model 70 should have been. If you want a CRF action and don't want a Mauser or a Model 70, the Kimber is a good choice.

I have a lot of Model 70s, pre-64 to the new FN Model 70s.

DO NOT underestimate the push feed actions, there is nothing wrong with them at all.

I have two post 64s/pre USRA Model 70s from the CMP auction sight, Target rifles made by the AMU. A 308 and a 300 WM. They are shooters.

Years ago I met a guy who went along the Alaska Coast buying junk rifles from Alaska Natives. I bought "6" post 64s actions from him (total $235 for all 6), I put together some damn good target and hunting rifles. Long range 1000 yard rifles in 300 WM for the AK NG Rifle team.

In '74 I bought a new Model 70 in 375H&H, a push feed I'm still shooting today. I was concerned about the extractor so I bought a spare and drilled a hole in the butt stock of the rifle, under the recoil pad, so I would have a spare if I ever got caught with a broken extractor. That was 41 years ago, I've shot the crap out of that rifle. The extractor is still in the butt stock.

I'm still looking for more M-70 actions. I still need a 260 Rem, and a heavy barreled 270 Win target rifle and a couple others on my "to build" list.

I do like the trigger on the FN Model 70s, but there isn't a thing wrong with the other Model 70 triggers.

I certainly wont pass up a push feed. The Rem 700s are pretty popular for target rifles, its push feed, I don't see a lot of people crying for a control feed M-700.

I will admit, for some reason I don't have a USRAs Model 70. I don't know how they snuck by, just never ran across one. And probably my favorite is my 1949 Pre-64 in '06. One smooth action. With the steel butt plate, Weaver El Paso 4X scope, just screams AMERICA'S RIFLE.

And my number one hunting rifle is the FN Featherweight in 270 Win.

But my target rifles are all post 64 push feeds. The two AMU guns I mentioned and a '06 Vietnam era Sniper Clone and my 300 WM 1000 yard rifle I used when I shot for the Guard.

In short, don't over look post 64s/pre classics, there is nothing wrong with the push feeds, never head of anyone breaking an extractor or any other confirmed problems.

I think the objections to push feed originated with one or two African guides who envisioned rounds falling out as they were charged by enraged elephants. Whether such events actually happened has never been quite clear to me.

The major problem with the push feed, as I have pointed out elsewhere, is the danger of leaving a round in the chamber to be fired by the bullet point of the next round. That is the reason Mauser went from push feed in its first rifles to controlled feed, not a fear of charging elephants (or even donkeys if we are to be politically neutral).

Jim

I think Winchester also made (Pre-64) rifles for Sears under their store brand. Could be a thought for a "cheaper" donor gun.

Back