Model 70 .30-06 vs. Mini-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andygold

Just sold an old Mini-14. Got a real good price for it. I liked the rifle, and was considering a new stainless Ranch Rifle with composite stock. Someone then offers me an immaculate Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 for a little less money. My questions: The old Mini was good for maybe 2-3 MOA. Are the new stainless Ranch models any better/worse/same? What is the maximum range that you can really expect to use the Mini w/scope?
I do not know the exact model designation (it has a jeweled bolt, if that helps)of the Model 70, or barrel length, but what is the max effective range of these rifles. What should I expect for MOA? If I'm shooting at 300 yards or less, is there much difference in typical accuracy between these two rifles? I already own an AR15, which can be used for self defense/small game...What would be the max range for larger game such as deer when using the 70 / 30-06?
Sorry for all the question...just trying to get some opinions, as I'd like to make an educated decision!!! Thanks,
Andy

This is apples and oranges and bananas. The Mini-14 is a light, handy rifle chambered for what is still essentially a medium power varmint cartridge, with an effective killing range of 200+ yards. The Model 70 is a full power sporting rifle, with most examples easily capable of minute-of-angle shooting and a usable range of 400+ yards.

Both the Mini-14 and the AR-15 are semi-auto and may be restricted for hunting in some areas.

I think it is first necessary to decide what you want to do with the rifle. (A Mazda Miata doesn't haul cargo very well, but an 18-wheeler is hell to go shopping in.)

Jim

Andy, This would be a no brainer for me. You
already have a .223 so go for the 30:06 and
get some reloading dies with the bucks you made on the deal. You can load 110 gr. bullets over 3400 fps. to have fun with the varmits, 165 gr. at 2900 for white tails and
such, 168 gr match bullets around 2650 fps for great accuracy and 250 grainers at around 2200 fps. for whatever reason you might be inclined!
Have fun, Hank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back