Model 7 based scout

AndABeer

I am toying with the idea of building a scout style rifle with the Remington 7 as the base. Specifically, I am looking at the Custom Shop Model 7 KS in .350 Mag. Does anyone know what it will take to mount the scope in the forward of the action on this rifle? In the caliber I mentioned, this piece comes with iron sights, is there some form of look through mount that will fit where I want it? Are there any quality scopes out there with IER greater than 6X?

AAB:

Leupold has a mount that uses the rear-sight holes in the barrel and the forward mounting holes on the receiver to place a scope forward of the receiver. It is suppose to fit the Rem 7400/7600 and standard 7's. Don't know if it will work on the custom shop 7's as they have a slightly different barrel contours, and I think the 7 in .350 Rem Mag is custom shop only. Haven't seen one of these mounts yet.

"greater than 6X" for a *scout scope* !?!

------------------
-ric

Forward-mounted scopes rarely exceed 2x-3x magnification. The scoutscope is used with both eyes open and excessive magnification would cause an unworkable disparity in the images seen by each eye. So, no...6x is out.

There are a number of "look-under" scope mounts for mounting scopes in the conventional position on various rifles. These mounts all position the scope too high to permit a decent cheek weld.

The Remington 7 is a nice compact rifle and not a bad choice as the basis for a scout.

Rosco

Back