*&* Model 60 Price Check

SA Scott

Greetings:

I saw a used Model 60 (stainless, Hogue grips) at a pawn shop here recently. The revolver appears to be in almost pristine condition, such that the trigger may not be fully broken in. I've wanted a snubby to replace my (stolen) SP101 for a while.

Anyway, the shop is asking @ $370. is this a fair price for an almost new revolver, or should I keep looking?

Thanks,

SA Scott

Greeting's:

First question, is this the S&W 60 (Chief's Special) in .38
Special caliber; or the S&W 60 in .357 Magnum? That would
make a difference in the price; with the .357 model 60 being
more expensive. However, it is not unusual to find mint Chief's Special model 60's (.38 Special) with the asking price being as high as $399.00.

*** The above stated price would only be justified by a weapon that was absolutely mint in every aspect; not showing
any trace's of wear whatsoever.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Both are great guns; the little Chief's Special is really
well accepted, as it was the most sought after, personally
owned handgun during the Viet-Nam War. I heard one story that said a combat veteran sold his for $500.00, on the way
back to the states. Although, introduced in 1965 as the first stainless steel handgun; it wasn't until late 1973
that a few of these firearms started drooling out into
public domain.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Should I anticipate significantly greater felt recoil with standard .357 loads in the 60 than I would a from a comparable SP101, based on weight? I expect the slimmer frame would make it a bit more snappy.

Thanks,

SA Scott

I just bought a new stainless 357mag model 60 in December. I paid $394 (lower Alabama). Prices may vary with geographic area.

"A bit snappy" is just a hair understated, when compared to the model 686. I'm shooting fairly hot loads with a 158 grain JHP.

The quoted price seems a little high to me...here (Atlanta, GA area)at least two shops have the Model 60 in .357, NIB, for $379.00...I might go $310.00 or maybe $325.00 used, but no higher....FWIW....mikey357

Back