model 52... is this still popular?

BurnoutNova

Inactive
my grandpa left me and my dad his guns, one being an early 50's win model 52 .22 target rifle. i know he was competitive from 52-55, and in 53 he went to the nra nationals and got 11th place in sharp shooting. he also has a bunch of local medals from nebraska he must have won.

the gun has iron sights, and i was wondering if this is an extinct model that noone uses anymore. im just curious if it would be posible to start shooting his gun again, and maybe join a club or somthing.

thanks, zach

When I first read the heading, I thought you were talking about a S&W model 52 (Excellent accurate pistola). But I remember the Winchester 52 as well. While I never owned one (my loss), One of my boy scout shooting friends did. We were in a scout shooting league and he was "king of the mountain" with that "52". A fine rifle. Quantrill

Last edited:
I cant believe what I just read

"over priced conversation piece."
shows you have never fired one.
I have one thats fired over 5000 rounds since I have owned it since the early 80's and its the gun that I taught my self to shoot with. And with iron sights across sand bags still hold sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Sure an Auchutzzszsz (what every the spelling is) can out shoot one but what would you call one of those (Under priced compaired to an automobile)
The 52 was an over the counter gun available to the masses for a low price in the 50's and there were very few guns that could compair, and even today if you find a good one there hard to beat for less than 1000$ spent on a gun to compair.
So model 52 a good gun?
No, there still a wonderful gun that will give a life time of use after its been shot 5000 times, and still out shoot and out last 5 Ruger 10-22.

Ozzie,
Yes, I have shot the 52, as well as the 40X, the Mod. 54 action Anshutlz, Mod 64 action Anschutz, the 513 T Rangemaster, the 540X, 541X, 541T, 541XR, H&R Mod 12, the Mossberg 44 and 144, in fact, there is not a lot of .22 target rifles I have not shot. The 52 is a fine rifle, but as a competitive .22 these days, it is outclassed in 3 and 4 position shooting. Mostly the people who pay high prices for the 52, are the people like me who remember when it was the rifle to win with. They buy it and go out to the range, lay it across a sandbag and shot a nice group, take it home, put it up and talk about what a fine rifle it is. And it is a fine rifle, but, try to take that rifle and compete in 3P somewhere with it. You will come up sucking eggs unless you restock it, put a hook buttplate on it, work over the trigger, and balance it. And THEN, you will still be beat by the Anschutz. Sad but true. There is not an American manufacturer of true competitive .22 3P rifles today. you can go through the custom shop at Remington and get a 40X (with a cast receiver), and at outrageous price, but you will have to go Europe to get the sight set unless you adapt a high power sight to it, or buy a used Redfield somewhere.
Yeah, I'll stick to my guns on what I said earlier, the 52 was THE gun, in it's day, but today it is an overpriced conversation piece (that sets in gun cabinets and is talked of in reverance). I wish that Winchester had continued to develope the 52 as a target rifle, and we did not have to go to Germany for a competitive .22 rifle. By the way, I have 2 model 1403 (64 action) Anschutz that have had well over 10,000 rounds a piece fired through them, in my club guns. they still fire accurately. .22 rifle barrrels are hard to wear out unless you don't clean them properly. These 2 rifles have both worn out 1 firing pin and spring each, but other than that, no problems.

Last edited:
Ok I'll give you that but

If your looking for a good piece to just target shoot, and were not talking about going to camp perrry with, its hard to find a gun that will out shoot it with out spending a lot of money, and in his case it was $0.00
So I will stick to my guns (The pun WAS intended :) )
Since you do seem to know bout high end 22's alot more than I do, just what is the price of a new Anschwiezzexzz?
Somthing you would take to camp perry if you were going?
I diddnt mean to be disrespectful, but for what he wanted to use it for, its not a good conversation piece, it's still a good gun and what I was compairing it to was anything under $500 not over.

I bought my son a new Mod. 54 action Anschutz 1907 last June. With the new style butt plate and new sight set, with s/h, it ended up about $2300. You can trim back on that about $200 by getting the cheaper sight set.
What I meant to impart about the Win 52 being overpriced, is that most people are only going to plink at the range with it, and the $400 to $700 is just more than most think that plinking is worth. Me included. The 52 is one rifle I do not own, because most people that have them today, are not selling, and the ones that do, want astronomical figures for it. And I am like most of them. If I got one, I would not use it to compete with, only to shoot it and enjoy the craftsmanship that went into building it. with that in mind, it is an awfully expensive curio!

prohawk

Those 52's are still winning a lot of matches. Hard to just plink with a rifle that still shoots 1/4 to half inch groups at 50 yards.
We in the shooting world know that the ammunition is the key to good groups.
My 52 and many others are still kicking those high dollar guns in the butt!
Mine was built in the40's and sure, I would not take a 1000.00 for it. It shoots better than some costing twice as much!
It will still be around after the foriegn stuff goes by the wayside!

Back