Model 36 Chiefs special

Master Blaster

I have the opportunity to pick up a model 36 chief's special
Its almost like new (small amt of finish wear near the muzzle.) comes with box papers and cleaning rod.
Made in 1973 2" barrel it has round butt P&R of course. they are asking $230 out the door at a local shop. Is this a good deal?? I think this is the classic snubby. Its all steel .38spl. Will this shoot plus P??

Thanks

Sounds like a decent price to me. I used a 2" first run mod 36 extremely heavily for years with no problems whatsoever. Currently have a 3" first run 36 that is a little jewell. Factory does not recommend use of "+P"

Sam.........if it ain't broke yet, let me play with it.

Master Blaster---

This is one of those deals that makes me crazy! The $230 price is way up on the high end for just a nice Chief Special for a carry piece. If it is, like 95% condition and had proper box, paperwork and cleaning rod, then it gets over into the collectors' realm, and the price is a lot more acceptable. My problem would be in tying up this kind of money in a pistol that I would not want to carry, for fear of messing up the collector value. .

If you are comfortable that it was really manufactured in 1973, then it is over a quarter- century old and you may never have this chance again. The age puts it well away from the "sell out" era, and back when S&W just built good guns as tools for sports and defense and law enforcement, without trying to make them a political statement.

My personal idea is that there are other arms which are better for day to day carry for personal defense. I prefer the alloy frame .38 revolvers, such as the model 37 Airweight Chiefs Special, or the Colt Cobra or Agent. These are much lighter and easier to carry around.

This particular M-36 Chief will indeed handle Plus P ammo, but, one must realize, that this was before there was a system to "Rate" the snubbies for +P. In fact, there is one line of thinking that, because of the five-shot geometry, with the lock bolt cuts being located between the chambers, these little guns will handle heavier loads than their somewhat larger K-frame brethren.

Let's recall--the manufacturers did not make "weak" guns up to a point and then say, "They're stronger now--We'll call 'em Plus P."

ANY well made snub will handle some heavy loads--just not indefinitely. My Airweight Chief has been to the gun smith's shop twice to have end shake fixed because I used too-vigorous handloads in it. I don't do that any more--I practice with light loads at the range--But I still CARRY 158 gr. LSWCHP +P ammo IN it. It will NOT blow up with +P, but it WILL go out of tune rapidly.

G33--You suggest use of Gold Dots. I don't believe Speer markets any GDHP .38 Spl load tht is NOT Plus P.

If I were out to get a carry gun, I think I'd find one in not-quite-so-nice shape, for less money. Or, If I was ready to spent good money for a defensive piece, I think I'd want a Kel Tec P11 or a Kahr or other light weight 9 x 19 auto pistol. Lighter weight, more shots, equal or greater power. If you like the wheel guns better, you might want to explore the Taurus lightweight revolvers.

Obviously, this is a far-from-perfect world, and I know I haven't offered any real solution to your situation. If your situation is such that you don't want to or cannot carry on your person all the time, this nice Chief could do double duty: It could ride in a gun rug, loaded, beneath your car seat or in your brief case and be fairly handy for defense, while remaining nice and retaining collector value, pending the time you could get another piece dedicated to on-person carry.

Or, you may be able to afford a dozen little guns, and I am presuming, based upon my own economic situation.

In any case, best of luck--
Johnny
MOLON LABE!

Actually, $230 is on the LOW end of a good deal, at least for where I live (Northern Virginia).

Gun prices will vary considerably from region to region.

Were I presented with this purchase in Northern Virginia, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

As for +P ammo, you won't blow the gun up if you shoot a cylinder full of +P through it, or even a couple cylinders full. What you will do, though, is to age the gun a lot more rapidly, making it seem as if you have shot a lot more rounds through it than you really have.

I'd buy it for $230. On the matter of Plus P ammo though, it does accelerate wear on the revolver. When in doubt, call S&W and speak with Customer Service.

Buy IT!!! And yes, you may SAFELY shoot a limited amount of "Plus P" ammo thru it...just don't go overboard!!!....mikey357

Thanks Guys, the price seemed very good to me since in my area they don't come up for sale often, and when Ive seen them in the past the price is usually 325-350!!. 230 seems like a good price for a nice carry revolver and I am buying this as a shooter. I dont plan to shoot much +P maybe none at all since hydrashock makes a 110 grain standard pressure round at about 975 fps.

There is something about the 20+ year old smiths that I like better than the new ones. When you compare them side by side you can see the workmanship and fitting that went into the older revolvers. A new pre betrayal 686+ is a nice gun but it sure is not a 60's vintage model 27.

Back