Model 340PD!!!!

the titanium and scandium airweights are all pretty expensive. i'm considering a 342PD. the best price on a 342PD that i have found was ~$525.

Have you fired one yet? A 12 oz .357 Magnum? I have a S&W model 642, it's a 15 oz .38 Special. Let me tell you, with .38 Spcl +p, it plain hurts. No way I'd want to shoot full boat .357s out of something that is 3 oz lighter.

Save yourself a couple hundred bucks and pick up a 642. The 342 is just too light.

M1911

I don't remember the exact price of my 642 and don't have my records with me. I think it was around $350 or so new. I'll try to remember to check my records at home.

M1911

Save another few extra buck's and seek out a S&W model 60 in .38 Special; the original all stainless steel handgun.:D
They have been discontinued, but are still widely available
used. Price on mine was $249.95 + sales tax.:) I found one
that had been shot very little; but carried by someone for
CCW purpose's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I found a model 36 (1973 vintage) for $220 which had been carried but fired little. It is very accurate at 15 yards, and I think that there are good .38 spl loads, like hydroshocks 110 grain that work well. For practice I have been firing 158 lswc with 3.2-3.5 grains of titegroup. the pistol weighs 19 oz with the round butt and standard grip. it carries in a pocket holster very well. I have fired the same round out of a club members titanium/ aluminum snubby and the recoil is much more pronounced. The titaniun gun is lighter 12 oz? I have also fired .357 out of an airweight and it is really a handfull, very unpleasant.
but it is also larger longer in the grip(square butt seems so) and harder to fit in a pocket.

OK, remembered when I got home. Purchased a new model 642 in 5/98 for $340. Also got a new 3" model 60 in 2/2000 for $367. Either would be much cheaper than a titanium or scandium model, whether new or used.

M1911

All I can say is "whewwwwww." I can tell you that .38 Sp +P in the 342/342PD is pretty punishing. I'm not terribly recoil sensitive, but I frankly can't imagine effectively firing, in training or in an defensive emergency, .357 Mag in one of these little revolvers. If you can do it, my hat is off to you! :-)

Or go with the Taurus model 85 in Titanium. In choosing between the S&W and Taurus, the Taurus was $349 at a local gunshow as opposed to $500+ for the new S&W. The Taurus also comes with a ported barrel (flames OFF on the "ported vs. unported for dim/night shooting issues) and that makes the 17 oz. shooting .38 +P very manageable ... multiple head shots at 45' with no problems.

I'll second what M1911 said...I carry a Model 442--the blued brother, if you will, of the stainless 642--and, with 158 gr. Plus-P ammo, it has ALL the recoil I choose to subject myself to!!! My 625's, 610 and 629's aren't as bone-jarringly brutal as this little baby!!! I CANNOT IMAGINE what it must be like to fire one of the "AirLite Scandium" doobies with Magnum ammo...it occurs to me it might be a good idea to have an excellent othopedic surgeon on retainer!!!....mikey357

Back