Model 329PD customization

Jeff460500

Inactive
I purchased a model 329PD for concealed carry. First modification was dropping the titanium cylinder and getting a stainless steel cylinder from Brownells. A S&W model 629 stainless steel cylinder. Why? Titanium has been prone to pit and erode on the face of the cylinder. Stainless steel has no such reputation but durability. Next was getting Hamilton Bowen to black powder chamfer the front of the cylinder. Mag-na-port quad ported it and polished the MIM hammer and trigger. They also electrical discharge machined a shallow line in the V notch rear sight blade. Added white too. Sent to Cylinder and Slide and they did an action job and added a fixed trigger overtravel stop. A Mepro tritium front sight was also installed. As the final step a model 500 S&W Hogue sorbethane padded rubber grip was added. Love it!

I think I would have kept the titanium cylinder. Reducing weight for woods carry is the whole purpose of the 329PD. How does it shoot with the porting and new grips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In before the Glock math. :p (You could have x Glocks for …….)

As long as you are happy with it and the results that’s awesome. Me, I’m just as happy with a stock 686+ :)

Talk about your drive-by! One post and gone...

The stainless cylinder solves nothing imho other than adding weight. But if you wanted a heavy 44mag for concealed carry, the M69 would be a better choice (and cheaper). The mod to the cylinder doesn't make much sense unless you're shooting some super crud making powder that I've never before heard of.

A 26oz N-frame IS the attraction of the 329pd - adding weight is going in the wrong direction IMO.

I shot around 9,000 rns (no specials) thru three different 329s. Never had a problem with the titanium cylinders - other problems yes, ti cyl no.

With that said, I like the OPs custom touches.

FWIW,

Paul

Back