Model 28 Highway Patrolman

johnblackstone

I have a vg model 28 Highway Patrolman .357 in blue (N frame). Is this regarded as a collectors item by anyone's standards? I have to sell a .357 and this is one of them.

Ideas on its value, anyone?

A collector would probably not be interested
in it unless it had some specific historical
aspect to it. IMHO this model and the S&W
27 are makin a mild comeback. The revolver
market is a buyers market right now so its
hard to place a value.

Greetings Sir; Hold Up !!!! Don't sell that
relic !!! The Smith & Wesson Model 28 .357
Magnum Highway Patrolman is by far one of
the finest revolver's ever made, bar none.
As a matter of fact, I just purchased one
with a 6" barrel back in October. Mine was
rated 98% NRA excellent; and I gave $270.00
U.S. dollars for it. I use this gun quite
regularly to compete in Postal Pistol Matches. These fine weapons are getting a
bit scarce. I found mine on the internet in
Illinois; and I live in Alabama. I have been
100% satisfied with this purchase.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Message edited by Dan H. Ford on 12-16-99

I'd say that your Model 28 is unlikely to have collector value. Condition is so important to collectors that vg probably wouldn't spark much interest, even if S&W hadn't made so many of this model. An exception might be a very, very early production gun, or, as bobo says, some historical association.

Collector's item or not, however, the Model 28 is one of my favorite S&Ws, and I'm sorry to hear you have to sell yours.

Best of luck.

John. Before you sell your model 28, go to (www.sixgunner.com/guests/paco.htm) to see the potential of your revolver. The only reason to sell would be if you had a matching (?) Model 27. I have both, and my 629 would go before I sold either Smith. (27 & 28) (I am a big fan of the .44 Mag, but I'd still keep the .357s)
Current .357 Mag. ammo is drastically loaded down compared to the original stuff made in 1935. I think the downloading came about when the Smith Mod. 19's came out, or shortly thereafter. The only caveat I would bring up on that web article is #2400 powder in the newer lots appear to be a bit faster burning, and you may not be able to achieve the loads mentioned. Still and all, it is interesting reading.
Paul B.

Last spring in Tempe, Arizona I attended a gun buyback held in the City Council chambers. I was there to protest and grant interviews to the uninformed reporters. The cop at the table did his duty and used a laptop computer to log in the serial numbers of the guns.

He was rather emotionaless throughout the day with each gun. Then then a gent entered and turned in a Smith .357 Highway Patrol. The cop looked at the gun, pursed his lips and slightly shook his head. I guess that one wasn't a junkgun he could so easily dismiss.

I later called him to ask his opinion of the gun buyback. Midway through the conversation he offered the story on the Smith all by his lonesome. It must have bugged him.

But not nearly as much as when I saw two older men at separate times turn in vintage .22 target rifles, both asking if there were anyone who would want these rifles. One was the same model my father gave me...the one he used to train during WW2. Now THAT, bugged *ME*.

Rick

------------------
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

Back