Model 1903 Winchester Pump

RC20

I am assessing the gun for a friend.

Info seems to conflict with the fact its an internal hammer full side eject bottom load shotgun with the Model or model date of 1903 on it (or Model but that does not seem to track with other info). 12 ga full choke.

Its a take down model and in very good condition overall with some tarnish on it and a bit of surface rust.

It has a pad on the butt and suspect that is not OEM ?

Any ballpark idea what its worth? Comes with a case designed for it but not Winchester.

Any links to forums that specialize in the gun?

Well, the Model of 1903 was a semi-automatic rifle, so that's not it.

If I'm not mistaken, the first hammerless slide action shotgun Winchester Made was the Model of 1912, or the Model 12.

Model 12s were takedowns.

You'll need to post some clear pictures of the gun and the markings.

A soft recoil pad is almost definitely aftermarket.

Mike,

I just went back and looked at the numbers I wrote down and its a Model 1912 not a 1903. How I got that in my brain I do not know. Damn.

Makes sense now with a 1912 listed features. My apologies. Mfg date from the serial number looks to be later 1914

Shame on the butt pad unless they put those on some of those models.

Last edited:
I'm not all that familiar with the markings on a Model 12, but it's possible that you were reading one of the patent dates on the barrel.

More than one person has done that in the past.

Is the chamber length marked on the barrel?

If it's not, you might want to have it checked before you shoot it.

At that time the 2 3/4" 12 gauge shell was NOT the universal standard that it now is.

The most common American chambering was 2 1/2" for a 12 gauge, but 2" and 2 5/8" shells were also known.

It's most likely that your gun, if made in 1914, was chambered for 2 1/2" shells.

Firing a modern 2 3/4" shell out of it could damage it.

I would suggest having your gun checked by a competent and knowledgeable gunsmith before you shoot it.

Back