Model 1894 sights

foyman

Inactive
I have a old Model 1894, serial #863128, that has the bead missing on the front site. The front site is a blade that is held by a pin in a mount which appears to be part of the barrel. After 90 years I doubt the pin will come out without putting up a real fight. Has anyone replaced a front sight bead, and if so what did you use for the replacement bead. Looks like a very small bearing would do the trick, but where the dickens would a man come up with something like that? :confused:

Yours is a Type 1, from 1918.

Spray a wee bit of Liquid Wrench or equivalent onto the pin. It should tap out with a small drift-pin.

Parts are available. I disremember the name, but Numrich Arms or Gun Parts Corp; something like that.

a very small bearing would do the trick, but where the dickens would a man come up with something like that?

Any good bearing store will have loose bearings, and even if you're not familiar with the industrial shops in your area, I'll bet that you have one nearby.

I was recently looking for a 1/8th steel bearing (0.125") and went to a place in town called Motor Parts and Bearings. The lady at the counter gave me a half-dozen and told me that it wasn't worth writing a ticket. Take those gratis and come back when I need something. Bearings are easy to find if you know where to look. I'd bet a good hardware store would have some.

Thanks Art and PawPaw for your suggestions. If I come up with the small bearing I probably won't have to remove the pin and blade. I'm thinking that a very small drop of Superglue would hold the new bead...is there something better that I should use?

Back