Model 1894 design changes

Sea Buck

While researching my two Mod 94's,standard carbine,.30-30,pre-64.I wondered at what point in time did the various changes take place. Such as the butt plate, or the rear sights, or the receiver markings, forearms, barrel bands, front sights, etc. What would be a good on line source for this information.

Those changes didn't take place all at once, and the factory didn't always keep a record of when they were made. Even the Winchester books can usually only approximate the changeover time. Further, changes were phased in, as parts were used up. They didn't just decide on July 15, 1922 at 3:35 PM to stop work, throw away all the old parts and start from scratch.

Further, many differences (like sights) were not changes, but factory options which were available over a long period of time at the customer's request.

Good luck in trying to date those changes, but you might not be able to do so.

Jim

The changes all occurred at/about various SN's, over the years.

The best way for you to find out EVERYTHING would be to get a copy of Renneberg's book.

61psbgTyEZL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Click & scroll for a sampling of the contents: http://www.amazon.com/Winchester-Model-94-Century-Craftmanship/dp/1440203911#reader_1440203911

Last edited:
I don't have that book, but will note that some recent research and discoveries have caused much of the Winchester information available in previous years to be revised. Whether Renneberg has updated info, I don't know, but I have the feeling there is still more information on those rifles out there to be found.

Jim

FWIW, the earliest recorded production date for a Model 1894 is Oct 20, 1894.

The first change of consequence to the Model 1894 receivers was the very early change of the cartridge guide screws, then a change to "Extra Steel", then a "Nickel Steel" alloy,etc, etc, etc to the final change to "Proof Steel" in 1933-34.

As noted, the M1894/94 changes tend to be tied to SN range's, rather than to a specific date - since the changed parts were usually tossed into the same parts bin as the older-style parts (no parts were ever thrown away, just because there was a change) - to be used whenever they were pulled from the bin for use in assembly.

Back