Model 12

ptbrophy

Inactive
Recieved this gun from my father some years ago.It was given to him by my mother,who had bought it on a time payment plan of $5.00 a paycheck.That was back in the late 50's,and it was given as a xmas gift.
The gun is stamped Win 12 12ga on the barrel,and is also engraved Specialty grade on the left side of the reciever.Sr #1034307.
It is engraved on the left side with a squirrel,and a running bunny on the right.The engraving is done in gold leaf.The top of the barrel is also engraved in gold leaf.
I have not been able to this time to find this shotgun in any books,and have never found this engraved pattern anywhere.
Does anyone know what this is,and what it may be worth?

Attachments

• model 12 001.jpg
    model 12 001.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF0149 (2).jpg
    DSCF0149 (2).jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Model 12 006.jpg
    Model 12 006.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 75
I have never run across that model, either in person or in a book. I suggest you ask at shotgunworld in the Winchester forum. If one of the members, such as 'only winchesters' doesn't know (or know where to find out) I don't know who will. Put Model 12 Specialty Grade in the title to get their attention

www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=60

John

P.S. - My guess is that it was a run of guns made for a distributor or retailer, but what do I know. (not much)

The gun was made in 1947.

FWIW, the engraving doesn't look like factory or even American. It looks vaguely Asiatic and I suspect someone had the engraving done there. Like Johnbt, I have never heard of that grade. The markings "WIN 12" and "12 GA" are not the standard factory markings, either, and appear to have been engraved at the same time.

Jim

First let me say that I am not a model 12 guy, so I am not giving an answer. I shot Skeet in Youska, Japan during the early 70's, besides going to town about the only entertainment worth doing, and the engraving on this gun spurred some memories of guns in the club house that were locally produced. Perhaps this is from that part of the world?

I am not at all sure of where the engraving was done,but I do remember my Mom giving it to my Dad,and her saying that it was a custom gun.She bought it from a small sport shop in Sparrowbush New York.Like I said,this was back in the late 50's or early 60's.
I agree with the Stamping issues.The gun however is not marked anywhere else,other than the barrel,other then the Specialty Grade on the receiver.
That is where I got the model 12 from,but I have had other people tell me it was not a model 12 at all.

Thanks for the information and help.

It has all the right features to be a model 12. Safety location, bolt release, reciever shape, bolt shape are all correct to match a Winchester Model 12.

Although your pics are not top quality, this much can be determined. Ser# should be on the bottom of the reciever, at the front, at least my older model 12s (1920s era) have it located there.

Thank You Johnbt,
I took your advise and ran this information past the guys over in the other forum.
Recieved some good information from several members.Thanks for the assistance

Pat

Back