Model 11 purchased at auction

Peppy

Bought this Model 11 at an auction last weekend. Serial numbers match. Manufactured in June of 1922. Mod choke. Show's it's age. Forearm, friction ring and spring appear in good shape. The action and receiver are real clean with the original breechblock pad still in place. What appears to be the original stock has had a repair. Someone made a homemade turnbuckle by drilling through the stock between the receiver tabs and pulling the two sides together. It appears they used a brass bolt and nut and then filed down both sides, polished and coated over the work. The weapon has a J.Unertl Hawk scope utilizing a Weaver side mount. I find it odd to place a varmint scope on a shotgun, but what's a fellow to do in the mid-sixties if you want glass on your slug gun?
I had a model 11-48 back in the mid-eighties. loved it. I purchased it with a cracked forearm. So I ordered a new stock and forearm from a gunsmith friend. When the wood showed up it was for a Model 11, so I placed the items in a closet, did nothing, and gave the model 11-48 to my father who sold it a few years later. So when I saw this Model 11 advertised in the auction, I told my wife about the wood for that old Model 11 stashed away. She went with me to the auction and prompted me to purchase the weapon. We did, I paid about the right value for the Model 11 and the scope, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got home, went to my father's empty house, and dug out that old wood for the Model 11 after 24 years. It was in the original Bishop carton. Nice Missouri walnut. I might just do nothing again and stash this stuff for my son.

Attachments

• Firing Line (640x585).jpg
    Firing Line (640x585).jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 66
Nice looking Md 11, the scope on it does look a bit odd, but then in this area few people use a shotgun for deer hunting anymore. I inherited my father's md 11 a few months ago; he had had it since we was a teenager, and his father had it before that. Dad had a Williams peep sight put on it as he used it as his slug gun back in the 60's.

David

That sounds awesome

I have never seen a Williams peep sight. Did some quick online research and these babies sound pretty slick. Is this close to the unit your father mounted on your Model 11?

Attachments

• Williams Peep.JPG
    Williams Peep.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 23
Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you, yep, that is the model that is on mine. My dad would take it off for duck hunting. i ahve the invoice for it and the gunsmithing to put it on, drilling and tapping two holes. $26 back in the early 70's.

David

Back