Model 10 Question

Kestrel

I just got a Model 10 bull barrel, with a square butt. It is marked "Model 10-8". Does anyone know the date range this gun was made and about how much it is worth in 95% condition?

Thanks,
Steve

Probably worth whatever you had to give, Steve - - -

I bought the first HB M-10 I ever saw in 1967 (--maybe 68) for $50, near-new in box. It was worth a little more.

Got another in really doggy exterior condition in 96, for about the same. Worth every penny.

In 2000, paid over twice that for a 90% specimen. Worth a lot more than that to me now.

This is one of those classic items, unfancy, uncomplicated, but always worth having. If you gave a little too much this month, wait a year or five or 20. You take care of it, and it'll still be worth MORE than what you gave.

(I'm sorry I don't have a firm answer for you, though.:o )

Best,
Johnny

Steve, Can't tell you about the worth but this is from the rec.guns FAQ on Smith Revolvers (http://www.recguns.com/IIIB2e1.html)

Model and Dash numbering system
--------------------------------
Model 10
-1 1959 Sesignation for Heavy Barrel
-2 1961 Changed extractor rod thread to LH on standard barrel
-3 1961 same as above, for heavy barrel
-4 1962 Screw in front of trigger eliminated
-5 1962 1/10" to 1/8" front sight, on standard barrel
-5 1962 Screw in front of trigger guard eliminated on
heavy barrel model
-7 1977 Change to put gas ring from yoke to cylinder
-8 1977 Change to put gas ring from yoke to cylinder
on heavy barrel model

Hope this helps.

BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!

I have the exact same model 10-8 and let me tell you she is extremely accurate! The simplicity of it and the way it feels in your hands is just perfect. I paid $200.00 for it and I now know that it was a steal. I use it in my firearms training classes and I picked up original grips for it to make the handle smaller for the ladies. Definitely get it. It is well worht the money.;)

Here's a further breakdown on the 10-8 from Supica and Nahas' "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson"

1977 - Model 10-8 introduced. Gas ring change from yoke to cylinder on heavy barrel model.

1981 - Logo moved from the sideplate to the left side of the frame to facilitate sideplate engraving (for police departments that requested it).

1982 - Eliminate pinned barrel and start 3 letter serial prefix.

1988 - Model 10-9 introduced.

Back