mod98 mauser

JUSTinTYME

I want to get a new stock, and rebarrel/rechamber my sporterized mauser. I'm thinking .243. Can anyone give any advice from first hand experience on the subject.

First I just want a new stock and trigger. I'm thinking a timney trigger with safety from midway and I haven't decided on the stock yet.

I would hold off the stock work until you do the rebarrelling, since a stock made for the K.98k will not properly fit the contours of a commercial barrel for the .243.

Unless you are capable and equipped to do the work yourself, the best approach might be to turn over the work to a gunsmith. But if you want to do at least some of the work, or do it in parts as you have the money, have the barrel work done first, then do what is needed to the old stock so you can try the gun. Then have the bolt and trigger work done together so the new stock can be fitted to those changes.

Jim

In April 2008 to July 2008 I built a 243 Mauser to get it someone I heard about, that was the daughter of a soldier in Iraq. I really enjoying giving.... and getting rid of any parts lying around I didn't like.

I wrote the girl in the states and the father in Iraq an email every day. It is the soap opera of an amateur gunsmithing of a 243 Mauser.

I think that was the only Win M70 type safety I ever milled into a Mauser.

Attachments

• Sonia's rifle ready for pick up light.jpg
    Sonia's rifle ready for pick up light.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 42
A 243 on a Mauser action is doable, but expect it to be more difficult than simply screwing on a new barrel and setting headspace. The sharper shoulder angle combined with the shorter body means that you'll generally have to carefully hone the feed rails to get feeding work properly every time.

Jimro

I built 2 30-06 on a Mauser action this year and I lengthened the mag box on both. you need to TIG a piece of metal to the front of the box then mill the old part out so the longer cartridge will fit. You also have to reramp the receiver so the tip dont hang up on the receiver. You can get a stock from Boyds to fit most contour barrels and they have a bold trigger that is pretty good and half the price of a Timney.
I also built a 308 and didnt have to do anything but put a strip in the box so the cartridge dont move to far forward.

Timney makes a two-position safety that is a bunch better that the trigger-safety. It lifts the firing pin off the sear.
The custom trigger is quite necessary, but Timney isn't the only maker.
I have several Mauser-based hunting/varmint/target rifles and have very few problems. Your best solution is rebarrel, then do each step, slowly, one at a time...yourself. Make you mistakes, fix them, and carry on.
When you're through you'll have done it all. It's YOURS!
Have fun,
Gene

The .243 is a .308-length cartridge, so nothing needs to be done to the magazine box. As to modifying the feed rails or putting in a magazine spacer and modifying the follower, I would do nothing in that area unless it turns out to be needed. There is no need to complicate things any more than necessary.

Jim

Thanks for all the replies. Clark that is a good looking stock you put on your rifle you built. And I might try the work myself. It would give me something to do during my layoffs

Back