Mod. 12 Win stock bolt

Kapusta

Can anyone confirm the thread size on a Mod. 12 Win stock bolt? I seem to think it was something screwy like 1/4 x 24? Can't locate my Brownells Encyclopedia - that's where I found it last time. Thanks.

Last edited:
I sent them a request as to the thread size. I actually need a tap to clean up the threads in the receiver shank. I'm also going to go and see if I can find the secret hiding place for my Brownells book. Thanks.

I have the stock bolt - just need to clean up the threads in the receiver shank. The Brownells book I referenced isn't their catalog, but the big green encyclopedia they publish that has all the fastener dimensions for most of the older guns.

Attachments

• t_108002001_1.jpg
    t_108002001_1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 20
Rec'd a reply from SSM - their hex head stock bolt has 1/4-24 threads. Why Win. chose that spec for the stock bolt puzzles me. Why not 1/4-28? Oh well, question answered. I also understand that the later Japan produced Mod.12's may have different threads?

Why Win. chose that spec for the stock bolt puzzles me. Why not 1/4-28?
That's not a road that you want to go down. ;)

The "why did XXX manufacturer choose YYY [non-standard] thread for ZZZ screw(s)"-question is a huge, nasty can of worms to be opening.
...Due in large part to the fact that there are so many answers, and so many opinions (agreeing and disagreeing with any given answer).

Probably engineer 'A' wanted to use a 1/4-20 bolt, engineer 'B' wanted to use a 1/4-28 one, so the wise manager said " go with a 1/4-24". And they all lived happily ever after.:D

Back