Mobile AL Delta, hogs etc... what pistol and ammo?

tully_mars

Ok guys,

I have been reading and have read every hog thread in here and am no more closer to a decision than any for what sidearm to take into the delta with me.

We are going to scout out some duck hunting spots, and want to be prepared for whatever, like if a hog finds us. There will be 2 or 3 of us going, but I am trying to decide what would be the most effective pistol to take from my safe.

SA 1911 5" MilSpec with 230gr ball or JHP?
S&W 4053TSW .40 with 165gr ball or JHP?
Browning HP 9mm with ???

I don't have a .357mag and not rushing out to buy one for an occasional day trip in the woods. I will also be carrying my 30-30 Win for primary problems. However, if I am in some brush where wielding the rifle is not feasable I would like to pull the most effective pistol I have.

Please, please keep this limited to these calibers, I do realize a .44mag would do the trick. And not going to drop in any conversions either. I just want to buy a box of the best ammo and be able to go.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Tully Mars

I'd choose the .45acp with the hottest FMJ or JSP ammo you can find/buy. From what I've read on here it seems like it is illeagal to "hunt" with FMJ ammo, BUT this is a personal defense situation so I think you'd be OK with a FMJ - check with your local game and fish officials just to make sure.

IMO do NOT use a hollow point. You want stopping power, but you need penetration to hit anything vital in a hog.

I've been in pretty thick stuff in the Appalachicola River swamps/jungle, and I don't think I've ever seen a time I couldn't have gotten a rifle into play.

Generally, if you're scouting and not sneaky-snake hunting, even hogs will move out and away from your noise.

I'd take whichever pistol that you hit best with. Whichever you do best with when you've done the "Do it in a hurry!" routine.

:), Art

Back