MN concealed weapons permit question

trenchcoat

Inactive
Unlike Virginia (where I currently reside), it seems that Minnesota is not a "shall issue" state when it comes to giving out concealed handgun permits. There are three requirements the applicant must pass in order for one to be given out:

1) Not prohibited from possessing a handgun.
2) Completed a firearms safety course.
3) Demonstrates an occupational or personal safety hazard requiring the need for a permit.

The first two don't concern me, heck, we're the law-abiding ones that have to go through the hassle of getting a permit! However, the third seems to give too much power to the issuing LEO. Basically, unless you convince them you need one, they don't have to give it to you. In my opinion, a good enough reason for getting one is "Personal Protection", but anyway...

I've had my VA permit for quite awhile and am going to be moving back to the Northern Midwest where I'm originally from. I've grown quite used to wearing my pistol everywhere I go, and I'm not ashamed to say that I feel naked without it. ;) One of the factors I'm basing where to live on is whether or not they offer concealed weapons permits. The right to bear arms and family protection are extremely important to me, but I'd rather not carry illegally ('cause I just don't feel right about it, dag nabbit!)

To get to my question before I bore everyone to tears: has anyone else had positive/negative experiences with Minnesota
concealed weapons permits? Are there certain cities/counties that are "gun-friendly"? Are there certain places where it's impossible to get one?

I know that there were news stories about Ventura getting one awhile back, but I'm thinking he was only given one because of his political status/exposure. What about us little people?? Thanks for any feedback,

-Josh

Josh,

I think your best bet is to contact your NRA affiliated state association. They should have lots of good info for you. The contacts for Minnesota's are...

MINNESOTA RIFLE & REVOLVER ASSOCIATION, INC.

Mr. Clifford Secord, President
5344 Morgan Avenue North
Brooklyn Center, Minnesota 55430
home: 612-561-0635

Mr. Harry Crump, Secretary
4955 Westbend Rd.
Golden Valley, Minnesota 55422
home: 612-522-7407

Joe

Joe's Second Amendment Message Board

I live in MN and, based on the "may issue" experience, would never again move to such a state. In most rural counties, esp. up North, CCW permits are not common but easily obtainable. In the metro area, the gestapo and others issue to their own, by and large...not to the commoners. That put the lawmakers and enforcers of those laws on the "enemy personell" status with me :(

Rat,

You *really* should consider moving to Colorado... anywhere but Denver or Boulder, anyway. :)

------------------
"America needs additional gun laws like a giraffe needs snow tires."
--Rabbi Mermelstein, JPFO

Rat,

I'm a fellow Minnesotan, and it's not just in the Mpls./St. Paul metro area that CCW permits are scarce. Sheriffs in many counties are afraid of political backlash (or otherwise highly reluctant) to issue them. And by the way, we don't have to move to Colorado. Either of our neighbors to our immediate west would do just fine! (Both North and South Dakotas are FABULOUS hunting states as well, making hunting in Minnesota look like a joke.)

Regards,
MLT

Thanks again for the information - given the circumstances, maybe I should look towards SD or even IN instead! *sigh* The hassles we go through to be legal...

Back