ML shotgun

Tried it for the first time today. The gun belonged to another person. It was a hoot to load.

Started out with 60 gr FF followed by a thick, cork powder wad. Then a Lee scoop of about 60 gr (volume wise) of 8 shot. Finally an cardboard over-shot card wad. Tried using the same ramrod but found that the bulb tipped ramrod that came with it worked best as it did not upset the cork over-shot wad. Capped with a couple of caps and I was busting clay pigeons.

I'm under the impression that most folks carried guns of this nature west after the Civil War. Being very versatile, they could be used to take fowl or big game.

The one drawback is that without the right size jag, they are a pain to clean. Spent over an hour trying to clean one barrel alone. Get the proper equipment before you start.

it is a ton of fun. I have that 12g barrel for my cva hawken and its actually a great shooter out to 45 yards with 7 1/2 shot. Good enough for grouse season!

I had to use my .58cal bore jag and like you said, holy smokes what a pain! Luckily there's no rifling for the fouling to get caught up in.

The one drawback is that without the right size jag, they are a pain to clean.

That's why they make bore mops. They're all I use to clean all my bp guns now. I'd be hard pressed to find a jag for any of them except for my two P53 Enfields where the jag is part of the ramrod.

Yes, they are a hoot to shoot.

I'm under the impression that most folks carried guns of this nature west after the Civil War. Being very versatile, they could be used to take fowl or big game.
I read "somewhere" that the gun that won the west, was actually a SXS, M/L or cartridge. I use to shoot trap with a group of guys, using these front-stuffers and I believe the NMLRA still has competitions. . ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Back in the old days TC made a smoothbore for their Renegade. Our rangemaster has a messed up Renegade barrel which he's thinking of reaming out to 12 GA. At least that'll give us another smoothbore to shoot.

My favorite SXS is a 20 gage flintlock . One of these days I might get the time to finish building the .410 flintlock SXS that I started many years ago LOL
As to cleaning . A tow Worm and a big chunk of tow works very well . However it basically is nothing more then a PC bore mop . But I got tiered of the mess so I went to a brass brush and cleaning patch .. Just soak the patch with cleaning solution and stick it over the end of the brush . The brass bristles hold the patch so as it wont come off . After cleaning simply pull the patch of the brush and throw it away .

To fit your rod , you need to get the adaptor . The female end is the large size for modern shotgun threads and the male end is of your choosing as they come in both #8 and #10

For 12 gauge, I like to use a 16 gauge jag with three flannel cleaning patches to take up the space between the jag and the bore. This is sort of a bore mop and the three cleaning patches have enough compressibility to go through the fixed choke in my gun yet still expand enough to effectively wipe the bore. Also, I use a stainless steel bore scrubber to help remove any leading of the bore.
I usually load 80 grains FFg, two .135" nitro cards over the powder, 1-1/8 ounce shot, and a thin overshot card. Lately I have reduced the shot to 1 ounce with good results in trap, even at 20 yards, and noticeably less recoil.
While shooting, I keep a spray bottle full of water/Ballistol mix on the loading bench and spray a shot down the bore after seating the overshot card. This lets me shoot all day at the trap range without having to do any cleaning.

DSC_0427_zps4cd12f57.jpg

That's me shooting my ml trap gun, a single barrel 12 gauge built by Bob Mimms using a Billingsworth underhammer action.
Photo taken by Peter Lucas at the Red River Renegades annual Shotgun Soiree in Electra, TX. (near Wichita Falls)
Here's a link to more of his photos of that event.
https://picasaweb.google.com/104833...l2013?feat=flashslideshow#5866897936477824882

When my brother and I were kids - very early 60s - I was shooting original rifled muskets. We came by a ML shotgun that was in good shape so decided to put it to use. We didn't have a wad punch or wads - so we used newspaper for wads. Now it sounds kind of silly but hey, it worked. We had lots of fun shooting clay pigeons we'd take turn throwing for each other.

My brother has a double 12 as well as a N-W trade gun. When we used to go to Friendship (I haven't been in a number of years) he'd shoot the sporting clays and the woods walk. I always enjoyed watching - especially the "bunnies" they'd throw. We'd also go over at night and watch them shoot skeet/trap. Lot's of fun - a whole different aspect of the hobby.

I have a Fusil-de-Chasse that I love - gives the option of RB or shot. I guess you are either a "shotgunner" or not . . . but it's a lot of fun and everybody who likes BP shooting ought to give it a try at one time or another. Of cours you might get hooked on it! :)

I shoot a 14 ga. single barrel English shotgun, proof marks and maker dates it about 1850 from Birmingham. Load 75 gn of Goex 2F with 1 nitro card, 1 fiber wad soaked in Ballistol, 1 oz shot and over shot card. Works great for 16 yr trap (no choke) Clean with hot water/Murphy's oil soap followed by Ballistol. The lubed wad keeps it clean during shooting.
I keep each load component in a resealable plastic container. Lay them out on bench in order for quick reloading.

British percussion double shotguns are my passion. I think some of the most beautiful firearms ever made can be found in their ranks.

They are beautiful to look at and an absolute joy to shoot.

I have a Belgian made Ancion 12 gauge from around 1850 with a beautifully carved and checkered wrist.

My Pedersoli is almost identical to the weight and the way it handles.

What ever happened to the soapy water pumping version of cleaning BP barrels.
You know, put a rubber hose over the nipple (s) and use a tight fitting mop to pump the gun clean into a bucket.
Quickly followed by a barrel full of very fast evaporating hot water and then lube.
Works pretty good, fast and effective.

That's how I do it, except I just take the barrel off the gun and stick the breech end in the bucket of water.
Then I spray water displacement lube down the barrel while it's still wet and wipe dry with cleaning patches, followed by a final oiling.

Combinations

There are still three basic ways used, to cleaning a BP firearm;

1) Water and soap mix and some debate on hot, warm or cold water.
2) Solvent soaks and washes. Too many mention.
3) A combination of 1&2.

Water is the oldest solvent and still very much, in use. It's great at washing away BP "Salts". Problem goes from cleaning the salts, to getting rid of the water deposits. That is why I always finish with solvents. I use to use Ballistol 50/50 with water on my field clean and have switch 50/50 Ballistol and Mineral spirits. What's left is a nice coating of Ballistol and hold up well until I get back to the shop cleaning. .... ;)

By the way, Hawg, that is one gorgeous Double. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Thanks Pahoo. Its not perfect. It has a couple of small cracks in the wood that weren't repaired correctly and the right hammer has a couple of repairs but it's a good shooter.

Back