ML rifle performance question

Shorthair

Happy New Year!
I have a Traditions .54 percussion cap rifle. It has a 1:48" twist barrel. Basically a cannon on a stick, I put a little 2.5 power scope to make up for my aging eyesight. It loves 230 grn patched balls, at 50 yards its dead-on and I would think deadly on whitetails. Thinking that accuracy out to 100 yards or so might be problematic with the balls, I wanted to try shooting a sabot with a .44 or .45 XTP. I I found some sabots and some .45 cal 240 grn XTPs so I decided to try that combo first. I own some property and went out to my range and discovered that 100 grns of Pyrodex select will put that bullet consistantly into the x ring at 50 yards. Happy enough with that, I hunted with the load, though I saw nothing to shoot for the ML season.
Here's the question: Anyone have any thoughts or experience on the suitability of that load for shots out to say 150 yards on whitetail? I was thinking that I could go up in bullet weight to as much as 300 grns, but not sure that the twist is sufficient to stabilize that heavy a bullet. I'm interested in your comments on accuracy and downrange performance.
Also, was thinking about going up in charge weight to 120 grns or so. Any thoughts on pros or cons? I was thinking I'd get a bit more velocity, which might lead to better downrange performance.
Thanks for any help!

It sounds to me like you're on the right trail. With that twist rate you might want to try the Buffalo Great Plains bullets.

Some of the sabot makers recommend a max bullet wt of 240 grs. Usually if you go heavier bullet you use less powder. Lighter bullet more powder. That is because of the breech pressure. Heavy bullets work on the freight train principle. Slow, but like getting hit with a freight train.

Depends on the quality of the construction of your barrel and how much kick you can live with. 300 grains and 120 grains of powder will definitely make you think magnum. But people do this routinely. The Thompson Center and the Knight rifles would be my choice if I was headed this way.

Back